SASS Wire Forum

School me on Winter Shooting

Cinco Peso

And don't forget that at temperatures even up in the upper 30's can effect your loads and your guns.

Guns become more finicky with cold, especially with some lubes.

And light loads don't always do well, so if you reload, up your powder about 2/10s of a grain to be sure (of course, that is if you use loads in the bottom half of the recommended loading range.)

True,

Warm up ammo the night before by bringing it into warm house. Keep in warm car while driving to match. Put ammo strip with ammo inside your coat next to you until you need to load your firearms at table, which could be 45minutes of soak time . Could put one of those disposable hand warmers wrapped up in a cloth, in your ammo bag.

Or, as you said, up your powder charge.

Curl up on the couch with a large warm dog. Sip a large hot cup of coffee. Watch people on TV, outside, freezing. Repeat as necessary.

Oh, may substitute a good cup of hot coco for the coffee. Same same, repeat as necessary.

This. I was cold as a kid. Hate being cold and/ or wet now. See my signature line...

Several clubs around here (Eastern Washington) go to "winter rules" which means wear whatever keeps you warm and places will be provided to stage handguns and shotshells in order to minimize fumbling around with cold hands and heavy clothing. With snow on the ground a couple of clubs even allow rimfire rifles so there is no brass chasing in the snow.

We also put a propane Mr. Heater in our gun cart wagon, stationed right up near the firing line, and often have another heater sitting on the loading table for a last minute warm-up before shooting.

Archived