SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1858 Help Needed

Wild Willi

The grips are definitely not the same. What's more, the grip frames vary within the makers. I don't know if it's different years or differences in molds or somewhere in the manufacturing process or what... but I own several pairs of Pietta Remington "1858s" and they don't all fit the same. So, I have to match numbers back to the proper gun to get proper fit.

I bought some after-market grips from a grip-maker and although the back of the grips lined up perfectly with the backstrap, the fronts left too much metal of the frame exposed. Later got another pistol that a set of those grips fit perfectly.

So, I can give you measurements from 3 guns of the same manufacture and it would be 3 different measurements...

My Ubertis suffered from the same problems. When grips are bought they have to be fitted. Sometimes the contours are not compatible and no fitting is possible.

ok, pulled a random Pietta Remington. Grip panel measures 54.49mm at the base front to back. Base front to the notch high on the backstrap is 83.60mm Notch to notch where your thumb rests is 26.81

pulled another, base is 54.90 front to back, 79.83mm base front to the notch high on the backstrap. Notch to notch where your thumb rests is 27.79mm

Archived