SASS Wire Forum

Is There Something I Should Know?

DocWard

UPS stopped earlier and left a box from amazon. When I opened it, I found five (5!) small hard cover books titled Twenty-Four Hours a Day. I didn't order them, and the receipt with them doesn't indicate who did, but the box was addressed to me. The books are from the Hazelden Foundation/Alcoholics Anonymous and are a sort of daily devotional.

I'm left scratching my head wondering who would send me such things and why. Anyone who knows me well would know I seldom drink, and when I do, it is typically a beer, or perhaps a glass of wine, with a meal. They would also know that I might have some faith based issues with the A.A. Twelve Step Program if I were.

So, is there something I'm missing here?

I could see some well-meaning but not fully informed soul maybe thinking you needed such a book, but five? That sounds like a simple mistake.

Has anyone ever bought something for you from Amazon and had it shipped directly to you? If you do that Amazon saves the address in case you want something sent there again. Maybe somebody you know wanted those books but clicked the wrong "ship to this address" button.

I could see some well-meaning but not fully informed soul maybe thinking you needed such a book, but five? That sounds like a simple mistake.

Has anyone ever bought something for you from Amazon and had it shipped directly to you? If you do that Amazon saves the address in case you want something sent there again. Maybe somebody you know wanted those books but clicked the wrong "ship to this address" button.

The only people I can think of would be wife and possibly daughters.

So it shouldn't be a total loss...you could always start drinking! :wacko: OTOH, there might be someone out there who really needs them. I which case, it would be good to see if you can find out who sent them, and send them back.

So it shouldn't be a total loss...you could always start drinking! :wacko: OTOH, there might be someone out there who really needs them. I which case, it would be good to see if you can find out who sent them, and send them back.

That is an option!

You make a good point. I will see what I can find out.

After a little work on Amazon's site, I was able to live chat with someone. Turns out, I forgot the one other person who has sent me something from Amazon. One of my fraternity brothers sent me an iPod after someone broke into my truck last year. Evidently he did just what Sparky suggested. We talk about a lot of things online, and I had hints that his drinking had led to his divorce from his wife, who I am friends with as well. I was unaware that he has been sober for two years, and the books are meant for him and others. I will be mailing them out to him tomorrow.

My big concern was that I have recently re-connected with some of my family members who are much more religious than I, of a much different religious bent, and a tad bit more judgmental. I was worried that perhaps they saw this as a well-meaning, anonymous way to help me down the "right path." It would not have been fun telling someone to MYOB (the Allie Mo rated version) and then need to tell the rest of the family the same. Glad that was averted.

Get some Tullamore Dew "booze, both the cause and solution to all of life's problems "

I had a Guinness with dinner. That ought to suffice for me.

After a little work on Amazon's site, I was able to live chat with someone. Turns out, I forgot the one other person who has sent me something from Amazon. One of my fraternity brothers sent me an iPod after someone broke into my truck last year. Evidently he did just what Sparky suggested. We talk about a lot of things online, and I had hints that his drinking had led to his divorce from his wife, who I am friends with as well. I was unaware that he has been sober for two years, and the books are meant for him and others. I will be mailing them out to him tomorrow.

I'd done it myself, so I knew it was easy to do. My daughter in Florida has received some things she never would have bought for herself. (Electronic parts.)

Good for your friend for making the long climb. I wish him continuous success.

Perhaps those steps also apply to Gun-a-holics?

:P

He would know if anyone would. His dad was Norm Flayderman.

Archived