SASS Wire Forum

Clearwater River

Rancocas

Somewhere on the North Fork of Idaho’s Clearwater River is a rainbow trout weighing at least 28 pounds–or about 8 pounds heavier than the state record for the species.

Larry Warren, who knew that he had a possible record-breaker on the line during a recent fishing trip with a buddy, was compelled to release the fish because it was protected under state law.

“I knew that it could potentially be a state record when it came 2 feet out of the water,” Warren told the Coeur d’Alene Press. “It took a 70-yard run up the river.”

The 55-year-old angler noticed after landing the trout that it had an intact adipose fin. The state mandates that rainbow trout with an unclipped adipose fin must be released.

However, Warren’s record-setting hopes were not entirely dashed.

He weighed the fish at 28.32 pounds on a digital hand scale, before setting it free. He and his buddy then hurried to a nearby supermarket to compare his scale with a certified scale used by the market’s butcher.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/rainbow-trout-huge-record-safe/

What's the deal about the fin?

If the fish has a clipped adipose fin, it is a hatchery trout and can be kept as part of the daily

limit. On some locations it is not legal to retain a fish with a adipose fin in place and must be

released. I am not certain about Idaho's rules, but being so close to Washington, I suspect

they have adapted some of our rules. The adipose fin is the one just in front of the tail on the

topside of the fish. It is small and has no real purpose to a fish, I suppose.

Archived