SASS Wire Forum

The 80 most essential songs of my life

I just bought an old Jukebox to put my old 45's in and had no idea it would cause such trouble. It will hold 80 records. How do you take a lifetime of music and try to whittle it down to the 80 best loved, most important music of your life? After two days of struggle I have come to the conclusion that it just can't be done, at least not by me. So many tunes have been touchstones of my life. they just have to be in there. Don't know if anyone else has music that seemed to define a moment. For Example

Wouldn't it be Nice, Beach Boys. It was " Our Song" and still is 46 years later gotta have that one

Crimson & Clover by Tommy James. First tune On the radio when I got in the car after my daughter was born. "I don't hardly know her but I think I could Love her". It was the song she picked for the father daughter dance at her wedding. Can't do without that.

Hello Vietnam,

Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap

Goodnight Saigon

Texas in my rear view mirror, played as I left San Antonio within minutes of my discharge from the Air Force

Only the Good Die Young, Billy Joel

American Pie, Don Mclean

We didn't start the Fire, Billy Joel

Damn near everything Bob Seiger has ever done, the man sings to my soul.

Don't Fence me in, Roy Rodgers

Old Dogs Children and Watermelon Wine, Tom T Hall

Texas When I die, Tanya Tucker,

These are the musical milestones my life and as I go through the stacks of wax, and mounds of sounds it sure has been fun reliving so many memories, good and bad. Some remind me of people I lost along the way, others of time, places, and a country that is no more. Cut them to 80?? Maybe I just need a couple more Jukeboxes.

Anyone else with tunes that tell their story? Or am I the only crazy cowboy who's life was told in music

Nope. You are not alone. NOw you have me started listing - not sure 80 would do it for me either.

BTW, we share several in your list.

No, you most certainly not alone. For me, certain songs can transport me almost instantly to certain places, certain periods, and certain events in my life. I'm not even sure where I would begin, and I am certainly not sure if I could limit myself to 80. I suppose a few do come to mind pretty quickly:

"Moondance" by Van Morrison. I found myself humming it in the shower before going on my first date with Mrs. Doc. It was the first song she put on in her dorm room while we were hanging out before leaving.

"Take it Easy" by The Eagles. I would often sit with three of my fraternity brothers at a bar that had a well stocked juke box and the three of us would sing this song in particular. Two of them were killed by a drunk driver coming back from a political science seminar at another college. I cannot listen to this song without thinking of them.

"The End" by The Doors. Another with meaning at my fraternity.

"Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zeppelin. Probably my favorite song by one of my two favorite bands. It described the relationship I had with my first "big love," so well that I couldn't listen to it until I was well into my relationship with Mrs. Doc.

"Someone to Watch Over Me" the Linda Ronstadt version. One Mrs. Doc and I loved, and the song we first danced to as husband and wife.

"Our House" by Crosby, Stills and Nash. Mrs. Doc put it on a mix tape for me when I was at AIT. To this day, it will transport me to Ft. Sam Houston, and thinking of how much I missed her.

"Bad to the Bone" by George Thoroughgood. That song got me and two good friends through Basic Training.

And Bugs, you're absolutely right. I've often said that if there is a true American poet in rock music, his name is Bob Seger. If you can't find at least one of his tunes that touches you in some way, from "Turn the Page," to "Night Moves," "Like a Rock," or so many others, you might want to check and see if you have a musical soul.

Pards,

Spotify.com. Set up your own playlists, millions of songs, plug you computer or smart phone into your stereo. Search by song or artist, Like having your old college stack of LP's. And ...it's free if you don't mind a commercial or two

Wayyyy cool

Since both of y'all are soldiers you might give this a listen: "When a Soldier Makes it Home" by Arlo Guthrie

Probably couldn't get it on a 45 though!

Mr. Guthrie is a poet.

They just keep popping up

We gotta get outta this place, Transports me to Chanute AFB in January of 66.Everytime I hear it I'm transported to the Airmans club feeling trapped.

I do believe

"I'll listen to my 45's

Cause it's wonderful to be alive

When the Rock 'n Roll Plays"

Just keepin' the faith

Bugs, I have been trying to do the same thing now for a few years. The problem is I just keep adding to the list. Would set up a playlist on my iPad , but I am going to need the storage capacity that the NSA has. Might be cheaper for me to buy my own radio station, and have them play what I want to hear. You could also swap out the 45s every so often, it was always sort of neat to have new tunes on the jukebox.

Wow, now there's a can of worms. A few stand out though:

"Darktown Poker Club" by Phil Harris. It was one of Mom's favorites and it reminds me of her. Plus it was sung by Baloo from Disney's "Jungle Book."

"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago. First song I ever slow danced to, with the girl who would become my wife.

"Never Forget / Unforgotten" from the Halo game soundtracks. They remind me of the girl who was once my wife.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Because.

What kind of jukebox is it, Bugs? I've always wanted a Wurlitzer model 1015 or a Seeburg with remote speakers.

Wow, now there's a can of worms. A few stand out though:

"Darktown Poker Club" by Phil Harris. It was one of Mom's favorites and it reminds me of her. Plus it was sung by Baloo from Disney's "Jungle Book."

"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago. First song I ever slow danced to, with the girl who would become my wife.

"Never Forget / Unforgotten" from the Halo game soundtracks. They remind me of the girl who was once my wife.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Because.

What kind of jukebox is it, Bugs? I've always wanted a Wurlitzer model 1015 or a Seeburg with remote speakers.

Well, Sparky, it could only be one brand of Jukebox. By this time I know most of you have figured out I'm sentimental. As a kid growing up in the Chicago suburbs during the Rock N Roll era and passing the Rock Ola factory every summer morning when I was going to work with my dad it had to be a Rock Ola. I'm not saying they are the best, just that they are as important to me as many of the songs and for the same reason. Add to that that one day as we passed the factory I said to dad that they make some cool Jukeboxes and he said they made a pretty fine carbine during the war. Dad was a Heavy Machinegunner in a Grayhound Armored car and had a Rock Ola carbine as his personal weapon. So, now I have one of each both made in that same Chicago factory.

Well, Sparky, it could only be one brand of Jukebox. By this time I know most of you have figured out I'm sentimental. As a kid growing up in the Chicago suburbs during the Rock N Roll era and passing the Rock Ola factory every summer morning when I was going to work with my dad it had to be a Rock Ola. I'm not saying they are the best, just that they are as important to me as many of the songs and for the same reason. Add to that that one day as we passed the factory I said to dad that they make some cool Jukeboxes and he said they made a pretty fine carbine during the war. Dad was a Heavy Machinegunner in a Grayhound Armored car and had a Rock Ola carbine as his personal weapon. So, now I have one of each both made in that same Chicago factory.

Bugs, that's about the coolest story I've ever heard. I hope that jukebox brings you lots of fond memories.

Archived