SASS Wire Forum

1897 Refinishing

Tejano

Howdy Folks,

I recently acquired a Norinco 1897. It functions wonderfully but the wood is beat up and the thick red norinco paint job is falling to pieaces and looks horrible. So I ordered a stock refinishing kit and would like to start prepping the wood for a make over.

Two Questions:

1) Is the only way to remove the pump is to do a full break down of the shotgun? Is thier was a quicker way to get the pump off so I can refinish it?

2) Is the stock is only held on by one bolt through? If not what else needs to be done to remove it?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Tejano

I wouldn't call it a full breakdown. There is a single bolt for the Butt Stock. You do not have to remove the barrel. As long as your taking it apart, it's a good time for some judicious internal rubbin n buffin.

Coffinmaker

You will have to remove the mag tube band/clamp and mag tube retaining screw on the receiver in order to remove the mag tube and action slide (pump) assembly. Then you may need a tool that fits in the slots of the forend retaining nut to remove it and the forend wood from the action slide assembly. I had to grind on the ID of the tool I bought to get it to fit around the Norinco mag tube so that the tangs on the tool would engage the slots on both sides of the nut. You might be able to simply remove the retaining nut and slide the wood off but I can't remember for sure if the fore grip will slide off of the action slide and over the mag tube band/clamp if not removed first as an assembly.

A tool like this

If you have the Norinco white wood under that coat of red barn paint, you won't have much of anything to refinish when you get the paint off.

I'd suggest a 97 stock kit from Boyd's would be a much better approach. You will end up with real straight-grain walnut, not the white "monkey wood" which you then have to fight to stain.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=13692&cat=1227

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=46138

Otherwise, I have seen a couple of the old Norinco's stocks painted black with DuraCoat. THAT will hide the monkey wood.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks gents. Any refinishing tips? I'm worried that thick paint norinco used wont come off very easily...

Well Joe just answered my question...I may have to go the new stock route but we shall see.

Archived