SASS Wire Forum

base pin problems

dal sackett

Purchased a very clean, "one owner" 1875 Remington for my bride. On the first stage, Murphy arrived and proved that things can and do happen. While firing, the base pin fully extended, preventing the cylinder from turning. Pushed the "base pin screw' and reinserted the pin. Next shot, same problem. Reverted to my trusty '73s and finished the match. Looking at the pin, it does not seem to "lock" like the 73 does. Also, the cartridge ejector rod extends the base pin when the rod is returned to its normal location. Any thoughts? Can't believe this is normal.

Perhaps you have a faulty base pin latch spring that is simply too weak or broken. Other things to check for are too shallow a groove for the pin latch to secure the pin. Another possibility is that the pin is the wrong part, possibly from a different revolver altogether and has a groove too far fore or aft to engage the latch.

I shot a'75 Remington repro for a couple of years and never experienced that problem. Let us know what you find.

kid rich and jack strong. thanks for the suggestions. I'll try that. If it don't work, I'll make another donation to our smith's retirement fund.

Archived