SASS Wire Forum

Need help with Colt Lightning Rifle

2bnag, SASS #54800

I have a medium frame Colt Lightning rifle in 32-20. It was a box full of parts when I got it. I now have it back together, but there are two tapped holes, one on each side of the receiver ( the right side hole is just above the loading gate, and the other side is a mirror image). I also have another medium frame in 44-40 that does not have these holes. The schematic I have does not show the holes or what goes in them. I have seen pictures of other medium frame Lightnings that have some kind of screw installed in the holes. Does anyone know what these are for, or where I might get the parts that are supposed to be in the holes?

On some Lightnings those screws would be removed so the pin holding the locking brace to the bolt could be removed. The pin would then be drifted out and the brace and bolt separated and removed from the gun.

The screws are just forward and a little below the screws that hold the cartridge guides. I believe that they are to take up space to facilitate feeding since the 32-20 cartridge is so much smaller than the 44-40 and 38-40 for which the rifle was designed.

Archived