SASS Wire Forum

WTB Ladies 12 or 20 gauge shotgun

Wife is looking to get started and will need a shotgun with a shorter LOP and a gauge/load that is lighter kicking.

If you have a smaller scaled 12 or 20 gauge that is in need of a new home, please let me know.

All makes and models will be considered - preferably ones that has been tuned as that will save us the trouble of getting it done later. Thanks for looking.

- D

You might want to have her shoot one first, common thought is the 20 ga. has more recoil than a light load 12. Check into mercury or some other form of recoil reducer.

That is a very good idea, Boulder.

Wife had spoken with other female shooters and one of them preferred a 20 gauge coach with Winchester AA Featherlite rounds over her husbands 12 gauge coach with Featherlites.

She will be in her first shoot this weekend and will get a chance to try that 20 gauge with any luck.

She shot my Coyote Cap tuned 12 gauge 1897 that has a padded bumper and still found that harsh - I'll look into that mercury pad, pardner.

I would agree with BCB.

Have you tried 7/8 ounce loads in the 12 gauge??

Also - a BIG cushy recoil pad can help.

Also, there is a type of shoulder pad that fits UNDER your garment - and has straps

that hold it in place.

Just trying to help.

- Boneyard Bill

I would agree with BCB.

Have you tried 7/8 ounce loads in the 12 gauge??

Also - a BIG cushy recoil pad can help.

Also, there is a type of shoulder pad that fits UNDER your garment - and has straps

that hold it in place.

Just trying to help.

- Boneyard Bill

Boneyard, I will take any help that I can get. Much obliged.

I believe the Featherlites (either in 12 or 20ga) are 7/8 if I am not mistaken.

As for the extra BIG Cushy pads, that is also on my radar - whether it goes on the 12 or 20, it will most likely be helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Fitting the stock usually turns out to be the best way to make any shotgun work for a lady. They almost always need something with about a 12 1/2 inch pull, some need even shorter. Picking up a non-shortened 12 gauge will always sour a gal on 12 gauge, when what she should object to - is the stock length.

Another vote for loading 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads at about 1000 FPS for the lady to use. As far as most of can find on the shelves, a "light" 20 gauge load might as well not even be discussed, because nothing is out there.

Good luck, GJ

Fitting the stock usually turns out to be the best way to make any shotgun work for a lady. They almost always need something with about a 12 1/2 inch pull, some need even shorter. Picking up a non-shortened 12 gauge will always sour a gal on 12 gauge, when what she should object to - is the stock length.

Another vote for loading 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads at about 1000 FPS for the lady to use. As far as most of can find on the shelves, a "light" 20 gauge load might as well not even be discussed, because nothing is out there.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for bringing up the proper LOP, GJ. I have a Mossberg12ga Junior in the back of the safe that I should pull out for her to test. Been awhile since I shot it, but kinda remember that actually being harder than my other 12s. Guessing due to the lighter weight.

BTW, I was at BassPro today and found a box of "Winchester AA Low Recoil Low Noise Target Load" in 12ga. 7/8 at 980fps. This may be the ticket, box states 50% less recoil.

I have a Stoeger that I got for my wife. She only shot a couple of matches. Action has been smoothed, auto safety disconnected, and butt pad installed. The stock is shortened to 12.5 inch length of pull. Gun is like new. I would sell it for $400.00 plus shipping.

Drifter

I have a Stoeger that I got for my wife. She only shot a couple of matches. Action has been smoothed, auto safety disconnected, and butt pad installed. The stock is shortened to 12.5 inch length of pull. Gun is like new. I would sell it for $400.00 plus shipping.

Drifter

Howdy Drifter,

Can you tell me what have been done with the Stoeger in regards to tuning? Was it brand new when you first got it? Not too familiar with what is involved in tuning up a coach.

As for myself, I use a 97 that was already tuned when I got it from a SASS member. Thanks a bunch.

- D

Archived