SASS Wire Forum

1886 Colt Lightning Medium Frame Rifle

Ole Whiskers

I just picked up an original Colt Lightning Rifle in 44/40. There is a spring loaded "lever" in the front of the trigger guard that unlocks the slide but the spring is either broken or came off. The rifle functions fine but you have to manually push the slide release lever back and forth. I'm looking for assembly/disassembly instructions w/schematics or pictures but can't seem to locate any. I've found some for the clones but there is no mention of this lever. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Ole Whiskers

Can you post photos? If you have the lever in the trigger guard it sounds like you have an early 1st Gen. The levers never worked well and Colt dropped them early on in production, but left the slot in the trigger guards that were already made. You will see a lot of trigger guards with the slot, but the lever is missing. Didn't work well and a lot of people (even in the old days) simply removed them. The only down side, if it is a downside, is that there is no slide lock and you have to make sure you aren't pulling on the pump while you are making the shot. The Ubertis don't have slide locks so it is no big deal, just takes getting use to the shooting technique.

Take down is basically as follows:

Remove the magazine tube

Remove the stock

Remove the two lower receiver screws (one on each side lower/rear of the upper receiver)

Put the pump and about the half way point in its stroke

Wiggle the lower receiver pulling it down and back (to disengage the two half-moon cutouts at the front of the receiver)

Once that is out all the parts are exposed for cleaning. It is a nightmare to put back together the first time. The tip of the locking brace has to go into a small rectangular slot in the pump slide. Basically, you have to put the pump slide and bolt in about their mid-points and try to wiggle the lower receiver back into the upper receiver. Just about when you are totally frustrated and ready to jump the thing, it will go back together.

Here is a schematic. You are probably talking about part number 29.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Colt-33188/Rifles-35752/LightningCenterfireRifle-38611.htm

OW, what you have is an early first series CLMR Model 1884. There are a number of good videos on youtube that feature this version. The gun's serial # is likely under 12000. There are many more of the later first series and second series gun. I have a very late third series made in 1901.

Sources of more information will be the Colt Collector's website and The Smith Shop (thesmithshop.com). The Smith Shop has parts left over form USFAs run of CLMRs. Some may work, some may not.

Whiskers...Shud have said somethin. I have the take down instructions for you. The spring is most likely loose or came out ot its track. It was there when I took it apart long time ago.

Hey Stone Deaf, you did tell me, I was just trying to see if I could work on it myself. Didn't want to take a chance on winging it, the technician in me still wants schematics...leftover from my Navy days. I'll get with you the next shoot so you can school me. Really pleased to be the new caretaker of this piece of history!

There are instructions for the Colt - not the clones - in the NRA RIFLE guide to Firearms assembly, BUT, they do not mention the slide lock, although their diagram has one. All the Lightnings didnt have that feature. It aint real hard, but the spring - from what I remember - doesnt like to stay in place when you put the guts back in. I know I had to do it several times before it stayed in place, but I think it came loose what in finally got everything back and since it didnt cause any problems, I didnt mess with it again. Just had to be sure to push forward on the thing when I went to shoot it.

Archived