SASS Wire Forum

A little OT: ILLINOIS LAW QUESTION

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Now for folks NOT from Illinois, you may want to find out the answer to this question

IF IF IF you ever come to Illinois to shoot.

A friend of mine was in Cabelas and a guy was at the ammo counter trying to buy ammo

the clerk asked for his firearms owner card and the guy didn't have one because he was

from out of state. He showed his drivers license which did prove he was over 21 but

because he was from OHIO he was not allowed to buy ammo.

The clerk said that ammo can only be sold to residents of contiguous states and OHIO

didn't qualify.

Perhaps someone knows the real scoop on this??

Next week I will look further but maybe someone knows for sure?

This could impact folks from a LOT of states....

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

Well, it's always possible the law has changed in the last few years, but... I tried to get an IL FOID card a few years ago (I'm a MO resident) because I had been told a similar story when I tried to buy some gunpowder in IL. My application was returned with a note saying I didn't need one. Only IL residents need an FOID card to buy ammo, guns or reloading components.

So I think that makes the clerk your friend dealt with an idiot who does not know the law.

Angus

I agree with the prior poster - unless the law has changed - a non-res doesn't need a FOID card to buy ammo.

We always had some guys over from Indiana to pheasant hunt - and the situation I described above was accurate.

That was - 4 - 5 years ago. A phone call to ISP would solve the question - or - they have a pretty good web-site.

Boneyard Bill

Howdy,

YES. Illinois law changed a LOT lately.

We now have conceal carry for mere mortals.

Don't figure the clerk was an idiot, most of those guys know the rules.

If some pard comes here from Texas and runs out of ammo they could be

in a reeeel bind.

Best

CR

Archived