SASS Wire Forum

Buckaroo gear

Bigdude408

Now that I'm getting into sass I'm thinking about getting the boys into it. I have 4 boys, 9,8,7, and 5, not to mention two girls. My step daughter is a bleeding liberal in training, hates guns, but mayby when my youngest (3) gets older she might be interested.

I was thinking about getting them a combined gift for christmas. A 22 sa revolver. That way if they come to the range with me they can be a cowboy too. The 7yr old loves the cowboy idea, watches westerns with me and made me buy him some cowboy boots last year. I think he will be most likely to shoot with me. I

The revolver must be sass approved, looking for a small sized one, they have some small mitts.

I was thinking a birds head grip would be better for them, but maybe one of you would know more then me. I really like the ruger bearcat, but if there is a cheaper quality revolver I would prefer.

I have a 9222m, most of them have shot, and a single shot 410 also. But if they get interested I will upgrade the shotgun. The 22 mag isn't a problem for buckaroo right? Might have to look into a Henry if not.

Is there a reasonable price kids holster too?

Thanks in advanced!

My three Grand Children have shot with me using the same guns that they handed down as they out grew them.

My recommendations;

Go with the Ruger Bearcats. Our pair have had many thousands of rounds through them with no problems. Bought one used and one new. I don't think any cheaper pistols can stand up to CAS. I made the holsters...and I am not a leather worker. They use a standard belt with a cheap shotgun slide. I'm sure your local leather guys can help you out for young shooters.

Rifle - You can't beat the Henry .22 rifle. It really runs smoothly after use and has been great. Henry replaced a firing pin for free with very quick response when needed. It likes Remmington Thunderbolts but feeds all brands well. My Grandson had to use his elbow to support the "heavy" Henry when he first started at 9 years old.

Shotgun - the .410 has a pretty sharp kick in factory loads especially with a light single shot shotgun. Let them shoot pistols and rifle until they can handle a double loaded with a lighter than featherlight loads. That's what my kids did and no one cared.

My Grandson is grown and away from the sport but I am luck to have two Grand Daughters currently shooting with me. One is 12 and the other is 16. It really helps if there are other young shooters to posse with.

pm me if I can help in any way!

The 410 is really nice with hand loads.My grandson shoot a S x S single trigger 410 with hand loads and he loves it.The single shot has a ejector and it is neat.He has shot a single shot some before I got the S x S.He shoots a little Henry 22 rifel and 38 lightning pistols.What ever it takes to get the kids out to the range with you.

What ever it takes to get the kids out to the range with you.

That is what I was thinking as well! An investment that would last generations would be worth it. Some bearcats and a youth specific Henry would be a good start.

Looks like I'll have to get rid of another mattel gun to fund there coy boy experience as well.

Happy I got into the assault rifle stage for a while, now I have things to sell to fund some real firearms!!! (With class)

As long as I have one I have a few to get rid of. And start a collection of single actions and levers!

Now I wonder if buckaroos could do a wild bunch version with the baby browning 22 1911. Lol

Now that I'm getting into sass I'm thinking about getting the boys into it. I have 4 boys, 9,8,7, and 5, not to mention two girls. My step daughter is a bleeding liberal in training, hates guns, but mayby when my youngest (3) gets older she might be interested.

I was thinking about getting them a combined gift for christmas. A 22 sa revolver. That way if they come to the range with me they can be a cowboy too. The 7yr old loves the cowboy idea, watches westerns with me and made me buy him some cowboy boots last year. I think he will be most likely to shoot with me. I

The revolver must be sass approved, looking for a small sized one, they have some small mitts.

I was thinking a birds head grip would be better for them, but maybe one of you would know more then me. I really like the ruger bearcat, but if there is a cheaper quality revolver I would prefer.

I have a 9222m, most of them have shot, and a single shot 410 also. But if they get interested I will upgrade the shotgun. The 22 mag isn't a problem for buckaroo right? Might have to look into a Henry if not.

Standard velocity .22 LR rimfire only for Buckaroo/ette categories.

REF: SHB pp. 9 & 12

Is there a reasonable price kids holster too?

Thanks in advanced!

Archived