SASS Wire Forum

fun this deer season thus far

Trigger Mike

This is the first time in my life that I have had a place I could hunt as often as I wanted to without imposing on somebody else. I had bought a used bow several years ago and finally took it out and practiced some and then when out to find a deer during archery season. I saw one, but she was beyond my range. It was fun being out there and learning their trails and such. Then primitive weapons season opened and my son could shoot a regular rifle due to his age and I carried a 3 band enfield musket. We had a hoot. We saw one but it was 150 yards out by measurement and he tried to shoot it but missed. I went out by myself late this afternoon at the end of musket season and just as I was getting to where I wanted to be, one was heading toward me and saw me first and ran. It confirmed my thoughts on where they were travelling, just poor timing on my part is all. Rifle season starts tomorrow and now my daughter wants to go as well. I had always wanted to hunt with bow and musket and did this year. Next year I want to take a shot at one. Meanwhile, I verified my hunting rifle is still on from the deer I shot with it last year. It is a repro WW2 1903A4 Springfield with weaver K2.5 scope. It helped me take a nice deer last year. Hopefully it can do it again this year.

Hunting with your kids,is one of the great joys of being a dad.I have 4,a girl and 3 boys all grown now.Lots of great times in the hills and woods.They grow up too fast.

Archived