SASS Wire Forum

things in westerns that drive me nuts

Bugler

....I believe the count on Costner's pistols is 12. He talks about it in an interview. He fires the first pistol 6 times then draws the second and empties it. The drawing of the second pistol wound up on the cutting room floor. .......

Now, I'm still confused on how Doc Holliday managed to squeeze three shots out of a double but it is Hollywood....... ;)

Same thing- bad editing. :angry:

I believe I recall seeing an intrview wtih K. Costner where he admits his character fired 9 rounds from his revolver. He stated that he thought it was so cool that he left it in. As I said earlier, when I see that sort of thing, it is detracting and annoying.

Happens in a lot of movies. Blame the continuity people. Remember in the Bullitt chase scene where the Dodge Charger lost more than 4 hubcaps (or lost 4 and still had some on the car at the end of the scene). The continuity guys forgot to count hubcaps.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one that bugs me.

Cowboy just wades in to the creek to get water. No concern with wet leathers boots on feet for the next two days?

New true grit movie. Girl walks into the creek in winter time to fill the bucket?

I've filled plenty of buckets from a creek while elk hunting in eastern Oregon. Never once thought it a good idea to Wade in and get my boots wet:)

I generally like westerns, Costner's westerns are no exception. That said, it bothered the heck out of me when he throws a perfectly good revolver in the river in ''Waltzing with Coyotes''...

I generally like westerns, Costner's westerns are no exception. That said, it bothered the heck out of me when he throws a perfectly good revolver in the river in ''Waltzing with Coyotes''...

Yeah, I noticed that he threw the empty revolver in the river. Ridiculous.

The list of nonsense in this movie goes on and it weakens the movie in big ways to those of us who look. We do enjoy it for its strong points ... the attention to accuracy of the period clothing, the gear and the depth of the development of the Sioux characters and on-location cinematography. That's what makes this movie good, in my opinion.

Basically the Costner character behaved in a treasonous manner in Wolves. I also think that the behavior of the military troops was stupidly characaturic (sp?) It's simply not believable.

Another questionable thing that bothered me was that he had a load of Henry rifles that he hid underground. What the heck was the military doing with Henry rifles for some end-of-the-world cavalry outpost? Also, the whole premise of the movie makes no sense. He arrived there and the place was deserted and essentially devastated. No legitimate reason is put forth in the movie for this. The correct thing to do was to not allow the freight wagon to leave, but to keep it on-site for a week or so, then leave a message, turn the wagon around and head back.

Costner is a low- to mid-range talent in his acting abilities and his behind-the-camera work. His high opinion of himelf has limited the enthusiasm of film makers to cast him. I watch his westerns simply because there is a very limited number of westerns being made.

I've read that when Tombstone was cast, that Costner was hired as Wyatt Earp but was booted beause he demanded script rewrites and other changes (artistic control) that would have made Tombstone an entirely different movie. He hurriedly scraped up financing and mde his own version of Tombstone, called Wyatt Earp, I believe, which came out at about the same time and is getting shown repeadedly on the cable Encore channels lately. The movie sucks because he made a Kevin Costner moview, not a movie about the legend of the exploits of the people involved in the OK Corral incident. Too bad.

While I'm not a big fan of Costner, I do watch his westerns and some of his other. He's not afraid to act alongside better talents, but he makes sure he has the lion's share of exposure in the moview. If he made another western, I'd watch it in a second.

I would like to see Francis Ford Coppola produce AND direct a western. Might turn out to be another Heaven's Gate, but who knows?

Do you really think any one in his right mind would knowingly enter a gunfight without all chambers loaded? As the Duke said, "If you think you're gonna need six then load Six". Sound advice. :)

Exactly......

I think Tom Selleck's last three westerns have been better about some of this. Like the way he reloads his Schofield in Crossfire Trail....

Archived