SASS Wire Forum

Santa Fe, NM

Boondock Saint, #70146

The main NM state history museum just off the Plaza downtown has some interesting stuff from the Cowboy era.

In fact, two new displays are open for a few months that cover Cowboy history:

Cowboys Real and Imagined: April 14, 2013 through March 16, 2014 (actual history, plus clips from many movies about NM Cowboys or made in NM westerns)

and

Tall Tales of the Wild West (about the (purely made-up) novels of Karl May, most famous western novelist in Germany)

See more at: http://nmhistorymuseum.org/index.php

There's more history about cowboys outside of Santa Fe than in it. The Cimarron Hotel up in Cimarron is really cool, and is the REAL DEAL as several outlaws and lawdogs actually ate, drank and slept in the existing building.

Good luck, GJ

The main NM state history museum just off the Plaza downtown has some interesting stuff from the Cowboy era.

In fact, two new displays are open for a few months that cover Cowboy history:

Cowboys Real and Imagined: April 14, 2013 through March 16, 2014 (actual history, plus clips from many movies about NM Cowboys or made in NM westerns)

and

Tall Tales of the Wild West (about the (purely made-up) novels of Karl May, most famous western novelist in Germany)

See more at: http://nmhistorymuseum.org/index.php

There's more history about cowboys outside of Santa Fe than in it. The Cimarron Hotel up in Cimarron is really cool, and is the REAL DEAL as several outlaws and lawdogs actually ate, drank and slept in the existing building.

Good luck, GJ

What Joe said! Some good stuff here!

GJ gave good advice. Overall Santa Fe is better at presenting Hispanic and Indian culture than late 19th century cowboy culture. However, Hispanics and Indians are very much a part of New Mexican history. Enjoy their story too. The museums and historic buildings around the Plaza have charm and history. I love staying at the La Fonda hotel off the plaza and imagine what it might be like to check into a fine property after a stagecoach ride to Santa Fe. Nearby is the Glorieta Battleground where Canby's troops forced Sibley's Texans into their grueling retreat back to Texas during the Civil War. Also nearby is the Las Golindrinas Living History Museum showcasing rural New Mexican colonial life. See http://www.golondrinas.org.

Guest Pecos River Bob

If your driving on I 40 it is worth stopping in Oklahoma City and visit the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. it is so good, you can see it all in two or three hours.

Again if your on I 40 take old 66 through Santa Rosa, there is a small Billy the Kid Museum there that may only take a half hours to see.

There used to be a Teddy Roosevelt Rough riders museum in Las Vegas, that's near I 25 North of Santa Fe. I am not sure it is still there.

If you go to Las Vegas and then need to head East, take state road 104 to Tucumcari you will have seen some of the wildest old ranch land in New Mexico.

Have a good trip

Florida Slowpoke

Archived