SASS Wire Forum

Need Advice: New Vaquero/Super B-hawk Hammer Install Issue

Jasper Jack

Evenin' Pards...I just installed a Ruger Super Blackhawk hammer in my New Vaquero. It dropped right in, but there is a noticeable hang up when cocking. I purchased two hammers from Midway and installed the other with same results. They appear identical to the original New Vaquero hammers, but for the life of me can't figure why there is a slight "bump" when cocking. Wondering if it could be the hammer strut channel. Anyone out there experienced a similar problem with a SBH hammer install in a New Vaquero? Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks. Jasper Jack

'sometimes' the hammer strut spring will rub (make contact) with the leg of the trigger spring during the cocking motion AND also when the hammer falls.

You won't feel it when the hammer falls unless you slowly lower it with your thumb.

You can visually check to see it this is the gremlin by removing your grip panels and eyeballing the situation.

I ain't a Ruger smith and thats about all I know to share.

..........Widder

I had the same issue - I paid a guy $20 to fix both guns - I don't know what he did -

but it was $ well spent.

- BB

Widder/BB, thanks for your replies. I'll check with grips off (great idea!). If that fails, then I'll ask around my club to see if anyone works on Rugers. BB, if you ever find out what that guy did, please let me know. Good shootin'!

-JJ

Archived