SASS Wire Forum

Oak Tree Pale Rider boots- good/bad opinions

Two Spurs

I've been wearing the Durango boots for some time now but want to get away from the elastic/expandable tops (for bigger calves which I don't have).

What are the pros/cons of the Oak Tree Pale Rider boots? Is there a different make/brand that might be better?

Thanks. :)

I have been wearing them for 3 years now. The positives are; good fit and decent wear. I have 20 inch calves and the elastic in the boot pipe stretches enough to fit my large legs. The only negative is the seam on the inside ankle on my right boot is not properly sewn and has a high spot that will rub a blister on my ankle. I have to wrap my ankle with an ace bandage to avoid a blister. Probably, not a common problem, but you asked pros and cons.

I have been wearing them for 3 years now. The positives are; good fit and decent wear. I have 20 inch calves and the elastic in the boot pipe stretches enough to fit my large legs. The only negative is the seam on the inside ankle on my right boot is not properly sewn and has a high spot that will rub a blister on my ankle. I have to wrap my ankle with an ace bandage to avoid a blister. Probably, not a common problem, but you asked pros and cons.

Backkshootin and Spur, it is a common problem with the Oak Tree brand. I too had the same problem. After exchanging them twice (paying shipping both ways) I went to a cobbler who gave me some relieve on the right boot but then when I started to wear it, the toe of my right foot started hurting because it was crimped more than the left. They set in closet now, new boots that are not wearable.

Ghost

Guest Jess Money

The only pair of boots I ever wore that did NOT have a high seam in the ankle area were the two pair Uncle Sam issued me in 1960. Go figure!

I learned to use a toilet pumice stone, one that looks like a piece of volcanic rock, and scrub the doo-doo out of the spot in the boot where it rubs. Takes a little time but it works for me. Most drug stores, hardware, Lowe's, Wally World, etc. carry them.

Throw the boots in the bath tub for two hours. Clamp a large piece of pipe in a bench vise, insert the boot and peen the seam with the head of a ball peen hammer. I have 14 pairs of these and like them other than the seam issues.

Ask me for a pic if you don't believe me.

I found they oak tree boots run large, "my size" were like wearing dads boots when I was a kid. Tried on several pair, the best fit was 1.5 or 2 sizes small depending on shoe I bounce between 9 and 10. The pair that fit, did not have much vertical room at the toe and pressed down on top of big toe. Not real comfortable when something presses on toenail. Stuffing toes and using shoe trees have managed to get more toe room. Having 18 inch calves the elastic top and generally larger upper than a lot of boots helped a lot. I cannot get my legs into some boots

Archived