SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone shoot a 454 casull carbine/45 colt?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

A friend bought a 454 casull/ 45 colt ruger.

I got to thinking that could be a pretty interesting carbine.

Ive heard the puma was available in similar caliber.

Anyone shootin one? if so how do you like it?

And problems?

thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

Howdy:

I have one in blue. It is a standard 20" 92 Ross that is chambered in .454 Casull. Mine was one of the early ones that was imported. It has a thick factory installed recoil pad on the butt. If you should shoot this and not have the rifle in your pocket on your shoulder, you will get a big blue and yellow spot and quite a bit of pain. If it is in the pocket and not the shoulder joint, it is a stout shove but it is manageable. I wanted one in stainless steel - missed one like that in Indiana last year - might find it this year. They are quite accurate like most Rossis.

There might be some confusion. Mine is a .454 Casulll. You can shoot .45 Colt in it which I don't do. The .454 is about 1/10" or so longer and is substantially more powerful. I also have several other 92's in 44WCF, 45 Colt, 38/357, 44 Rem Mag. While slow (NKJ slicked up the 45 Colt, they are sturdy and quite reliable (and accurate - assuming I do my part).

STL Suomi

I have the Puma '92 as a back up to my back up. I do use it for hunting and ya, it packs a bit of a punch with my H110 and 300gn hollow points. But with my cowboy loads, it is slick as my old match Rossi '92. The only thing is if I use it for a match, I need to change out the fiber optic sights, with my Rossi's steel ones.

Archived