SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Wax Bullets! DIY Ammo for Cheap Training and Fun (VIDEO)

TWANGnBANG

I am so thankful that I found CAS and sassnet.com! I haven't had this much fun getting into a new gun since I did my first AR build myself.

Everybody here already knows the fun and practicality of wax bullets, but I thought I'd share my video here anyway to see what you thought. I really think that CAS is poised for a serious explosion in popularity this year because of the crush of demand on semi-autos and their ammo. I hope that I can help that along with videos like this.

Actually I knew very little about wax bullets before seeing your video but I can imagine some possibilities, not only for practice but also for introducing new shooters to the sport. Thanks for sharing all the tips, for example the fitted wax bullet cartridge box. Ingenious.

I knew about the enlarged flash holes but not the loose primer pockets. I thought you would use a universal decapping die to punch out standard primers but using purpose made cases is probably easier (both priming and depriming) and you would be less likely to get a case with an enlarged flash hole mixed in with your regular cases.

Do the wax bullets make a sound when they hit a steel target? If you don't have to wear hearing protection with the pistol primers perhaps you could hear a hit.

The only thing that threw me was hearing you fire six shots out of the revolver! I am so accustomed to hearing only five since the rules require an empty chamber under the hammer.

Keep on posting. There are lots of YouTube shooting videos but yours are among the best I have seen.

The neat thing is that you do not need to stop with your six shooters. The materials are available to shoot with the rifle and shotgun,, wellll kinda. The lever rifles work on a some are better than others basis and the shotguns seem to be limited to doubles. I actually think one might could make, or have made, shot shells from brass 12ga shells that would work in the lever or pump guns. The brass cases for this will not leave residue in your barls either.

Spitfire Wax Bullets - They have 38 and 45 for both Pistols and Rifles. Both Pistol and Rifle case except a 209 Primer.

The Pistol 38's works best with RIO primers. Winchester and CCI, I did not have any luck with these. The primer is loose in the case, these are consider the "Fast Draw" type.

The Rifle case also except the same 209 primer but they need to be pressed into the case and removed with a punch. I had made a priming tool to set the 209 primer into a 38 special case. The case has a rim added so the wax bullet does not become flush with the case.

Bandit Shooting Supplies - 12ga Wax Bullets - Cool stuff, it is a Solid 12ga casing molded in plastic that excepts a 45 cal wax bullet and a 209 Primer. I prime and set the 45 cal bullet using a MEC jr press.

Spitfire and Bandit Shooting are the other two major players. Bandit's shotgun shells look like a lot of fun for SXS or pump guns.

My understanding is that the plastic shot shells will not stand up to the extractors in the pumps and lever guns and are pretty much limited to doubles. It might be expensive but I would think that the brass shot shells could be made to work in some fashion. When you get right down to it, as a shot shell, wouldn't a reversed plastic wad work just as well as plastic?

Archived