SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have a Cimarron Bisley in 45 Colt ?

Howdy Pards,

Anyone have a Cimarron Bisley in 45 Colt? If so how do you like it. I am looking at one with a 5.5"barrel. I am looking for some feed back and tips to keep it running right. Spare parts, loads etc.

Thanks,

Mogollon Mike

Howdy

I don't have a Cimarron Bisley, but I do have a Colt Bisley chambered for 44 special. The one thing to be aware of with the original Bisley shape, as opposed to the Ruger version of the Bisley, is that it does not point the same as a standard plowhandled SAA or replica. The forward sweep of the grip makes the gun tend to point downwards slightly if held in a modern off hand straight armed grip. No big deal, and easy to compensate for once you are aware of it.

Standard SAA and Bisley Comparison

Thanks Driftwood,

Great photo's. I have shot Bisleys and have always liked the grip. How are the Cimarron's(Uberti) for quality and what if any parts would you keep on hand?

Thanks,

Mike

Howdy

I don't have a Cimarron Bisley, but I do have a Colt Bisley chambered for 44 special. The one thing to be aware of with the original Bisley shape, as opposed to the Ruger version of the Bisley, is that it does not point the same as a standard plowhandled SAA or replica. The forward sweep of the grip makes the gun tend to point downwards slightly if held in a modern off hand straight armed grip. No big deal, and easy to compensate for once you are aware of it.

Standard SAA and Bisley Comparison

...How are the Cimarron's(Uberti) for quality and what if any parts would you keep on hand?...

The quality is the same as the Model P's. The innards are also mostly the same as the model P, including a coil hand spring. The part that is the most likely to break is the trigger/bolt spring. I'm not a big fan of Uberti trigger/bolt springs as far as reliability. I would replace it with an aftermarket American made spring if it were mine. The next most likely part to break is the bolt, but they really don't break all that often, and may require some fitting to install a new one.

Howdy

I agree. The most likely parts to break in any Colt or clone are the split trigger/bolt spring and the hand spring. If this gun has a coil spring for the hand, then that problem is solved. Always a good idea to lay in a few extra trigger/bolt springs, they are easy to replace. There are ways to make them less likely to break, but having a few extras around is always a good idea.

Forget the bolt. They don't break that often (knock wood) and when they do they usually have to be fitted by a smith. The bolt in one of my Colts broke a couple of years ago. Happy Trails fitted a new one for me, he is an expert.

Thanks Abilene & Driftwood,

That is just the kind of info, I was looking for.

Best,

Mogollon Mike

Howdy

I agree. The most likely parts to break in any Colt or clone are the split trigger/bolt spring and the hand spring. If this gun has a coil spring for the hand, then that problem is solved. Always a good idea to lay in a few extra trigger/bolt springs, they are easy to replace. There are ways to make them less likely to break, but having a few extras around is always a good idea.

Forget the bolt. They don't break that often (knock wood) and when they do they usually have to be fitted by a smith. The bolt in one of my Colts broke a couple of years ago. Happy Trails fitted a new one for me, he is an expert.

Archived