SASS Wire Forum

Loading from the top

Russ T. Sites

I can load a 45lc from the top with no problem with my 73 . What causes some 73 to need to have shorter brass to load from the top is it from being short stroked?

You need to make the secret mod to the lifter to make a smooth from the top reload on the 73. Takes about 3 minutes to make it but you have to have the secret decoder ring to see it. Only tool needed is a small file. Can be done with lifter even in the gun. Probably an illegal mod since it is visible from the outside of the rifle. <_<:rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<

Short stroke mod has nothing to due with the ability to load the 73 over the top. It is all about the OAL of the cartridge.

Most 38s will load from the top by placing the round on the raised carrier and pushing straight down and closing the lever. The loads you are using just happen to be short enough - many 45LC loads are not. In addition, the modest mod to the top edges of the carrier that Gold Canyon Kid mentioned simply adds a little bit of smoothness to the proposition - it also can change where the rifle throws the empty brass....... <_<

Short stroke mod has nothing to due with the ability to load the 73 over the top. It is all about the OAL of the cartridge.

Most 38s will load from the top by placing the round on the raised carrier and pushing straight down and closing the lever. The loads you are using just happen to be short enough - many 45LC loads are not. In addition, the modest mod to the top edges of the carrier that Gold Canyon Kid mentioned simply adds a little bit of smoothness to the proposition - it also can change where the rifle throws the empty brass....... <_<

Don't know about mods to the carrier but my Codymatic has the original brass lifter and loads from the top just fine with .38's.

I suppose the "Chamfer" could be considered/called "Wear". I load from the top using .357 mag brass/cartridge lengths combined with the "Wear" on the top corners of the carrier as shown below.

Carrier

Archived