SASS Wire Forum

.38 Long Colt. Trail Boss vs Factory vs Black Powder

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

The Gun: Colt 1894 DA Revolver, genuine Army surplus. Basically an updated M1892, but proofed for smokeless and with a .357" instead of a .375" bore.

The Bullets: .358" 358grain Lead Round Nose for reloads. Remington Factory ammo for the "control"

The Powder: Trail Boss, Black. Whatever Remmington uses in their factory Ammo.

The test: Load cylinder in following fashion: Factory. Trail Boss Load. Factory. Black Powder. Trail Boss. Black Powder.

Note: TB load is .1 grain over minimum charge.

The Surprising results: I have run this basic test in other calibers, such as .38 S&W and .32-20, and I always got three different results. Usually, the TB round is significantly quieter, and has less recoil that the factory load, with the BP recoil being very similar to the TB load. But, in this case, other than the extra smoke and different sound, I could sense NO noticable difference between the three loadings. Recoil was negligible in all three loadings, and the bang/boom was about the same "volume" on them all.

Not sure what, if anything, this means, but I did find it interesting.

Anyone else play with .38 Long Colt? The caliber could be quite useful in our game in cartridge conversions and such. Maybe even in some selected derringers and pocket pistols.

Archived