SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Cattleman, Old vs. New Model?

Preacher Longwinded

The "old" model and the "new" model are the same ... except ...

The "old" model has a screw on the front of the frame to retain the base pin ... the "new" model uses the spring loaded plunger arrangement ...

Look at the photos of each .. (at the front of the frame) ... and you will see the difference.

Pete

Also the Old Model (called black powder frame by some) will usually have a bullseye ejector button while the New Model has the crescent style (some of the short barreled guns with OM frame, such as sheriff's model or Thunderer will have the crescent ejector button as well).

Thanks fellas, This pair is for the better half. She fell in love with the smaller Bird's Head grips but it has been a bear to put a new pair together. The different base pin latch systems will not be a problem and The OM that I picked up locally today has the crescent style ejector button so we're good there.

My main concern(and maybe I dreamed it) is that the front sight is taller/shorter? Seems like I read that somewhere but cannot locate it now. And if so is the rear sight groove different?

If so I need to find either another OM or another NM to make a matched pair!

Thanks again

Preacher

Or three with the chance of 4of a kind or a full house, heh! I got more than I can shoot now! I was talking to a local dealer this morning..eh, yesterday morning, and he put me in contact with a company rep. Turns out--as I understand it--The change over to the New Model actually began with the new sights and the crescent shaped plunger, and it wasn't until the old style frames were used up that the new spring loaded base pin latches were used.

That is why I have a Old Model,(screw secured base pin), with the crescent shaped plunger and evidently the different front sight,

Soooo, I think we're OK, the only difference should be the base pin latches, which won't be a problem.

He also said they were on a 6 to 10 week backlog to get any more Birds Head Models in.

Thanks again everyone. Preacher Longwinded, again:^}

PS. Partially satisfied but waiting for Monday to verify!

Archived