SASS Wire Forum

Spencer "Experts" in New England

Hi, everybody.

Well, I was recently able to obtain a model 1863 Burnside Spencer carbine for a song.

Got myself one of those centerfire conversion blocks, and was able to swap it out without to much problem.

But, "to much" is the kicker. With the new block installed, I can't close the breech all the way. About 90% closed, and then it won't go no farther. I do not wanna force it but something is clearly wrong.

Can anyone (1.) offer any suggestions or (2.) a Spencer gunsmith that can help me, preferably someplace in New England.

Related problem.

Got the RCBS Legacy dies for the 56-50, and some brass from Buffalo Arms and, well, the dies don't seem to work. The resizer does not full length size, and the expander bulges the case long before it bells the mouth.

Anyone else experience this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

I rebuilt a basket case Burnside Spencer (rebarreled, restocked and replaced a lot of parts) to get a shooter back before the repros were available. I also had some problems getting the S&S block to fit. So, first, with the gun disassembled, will the block slide into place in the window? If not, you will have to hone the block to fit the window. There is some variation on the size of the windows both from manufacturing tolerances and wear over time. If the block will fitting the window (which mine did), there can be other problems. For example, the pin on my replacement block was just slightly off center from side to side. This led to a wedging issue that took some time to figure out.

I would recommend posting this on the Spencer Shooters Association board over at CAS.

Hope this helps.

Archived