SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Shell Reloader Question

For a few years now, I have been loading shotgun shells on a MEC Sizemaster. I have recently given some thought to moving up to a MEC Grabber to increase production and decrease the time I spend loading. Can anyone give me any input regarding the MEC Grabber - good, bad or otherwise? I would like to hear your opinions before purchasing the loader as I have never seen one in operation.

For a few years now, I have been loading shotgun shells on a MEC Sizemaster. I have recently given some thought to moving up to a MEC Grabber to increase production and decrease the time I spend loading. Can anyone give me any input regarding the MEC Grabber - good, bad or otherwise? I would like to hear your opinions before purchasing the loader as I have never seen one in operation.

It all depends on how your wife feels about lead shot all over her floor.

I load on a Mec grabber.I also have a Versa mec.The grabber is a lot easier to mess up on.I like the versa mac better.

The MEC Grabber is a GREAT machine.

Sturdy - built like a tank - once it is set-up -

it is a dream to operate.

When I shot a lot of skeet - I had 4 of them -

12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge, and .410 bore.

You will get BETTER QUALITY crimps on the Grabber than

with your Sizemaster. The holes in your reloading bench will "line-up". Plus - parts are readily available from MEC - also - their phone support is very good.

There are used Grabbers (Model 8567) floating around - I just sold one for $240 - and the buyer had a Sizemaster!! It was 20 gauge. He was hoping to sell his Sizemaster for $150.

Good luck and stay with MEC.

- Boneyard Bill

Hey S.S.,

Likely yer in the wrong forum fer asking questions. I usually get my posts yanked and I'm now used to the moderators.

The question you asked has be the subject topic on the SASSwire for some time. A search of the archive might give you all the answers you want.

I still use a MEC sizemaster for special one of a kind low volume and/or sometimes black powder. Some claim they can do 100 in 15 minutes. Takes me an hour for a hundred, regardless of the press. For general reloading, I use the Hornady 366. First, it sizes the hull and the base. The Sizemaster does a half a . . size of the base. The 366 has adjustable seating depth for the primer, sometimes more important. Both press must be watched like a hawk to be sure the primer drops with the better primer feed being the 366; whereas, the Sizemaster sucks. The sizemaster is all manual repositioning of the shell from beginning to finish. Once started in the Hornady, the shel plate moves the hull along and each pull of the lever drops a finished shell that has a factory like rounded crimp. So, I prefer the Hornady. Service is great, never had a problem getting parts, the press is massive, and compares favorably with much more expensive press. Yet, the nearly new 20 gauge I offered for $325 didn't have any interest. I pulled the press because most of the parts will keep my 12 gauge press(s) running during my life time even reloading for two.

Like the Sizemaster, if ya have a brain phart, you'll put powder and shot on the floor. The cookie pan works OK if your are prone to loss of attention.

While yer watching, ya pick up and position a hull in the size station. Pull the lever, move the sized hull to the next deprime station (only way to enter the shell plate) and if powder gets dumped, ya place a wad. Left hand has two operations and the right hand has two operations. The 366 is busy, but so is reloading with my Dillon 650.

Don't know that my rhetoric helps, but it's my 2 cents . . .

Joy T Brew

Archived