SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Chronicle Article

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Howdy Pards:

I do have to say that I just received my March Cowboy Chronicle and finished reading Tex's article on " Our Champions Deserve The Respect They've Earned".

Lead Dispencer's #27115 edited version of comments. A fantastic piece of reading and I must congratulate him on this article. I don't personnally know this Cowboy but have seen him in action firing up his guns on the range. It is great to start getting recognition in this sport of Cowboy Action Shooting and through out the years that I have been doing so it has been very rewarding competing with others and if its first or last place does not matter to this Cowboy. I also have family members involved with Cowboy Action shooting as well. Thanks for the article Tex and Lead Dispencer.

See you all on the range:

JRJ

Great article and Lead Dispenser was dead on target on his very articulate and well thought out comments. I've met him and watched him shoot (amaziingly fast) and he's very helpful to new (old or young) shooters. Well done Spence!

I just read the article and had seen the post on the SASS forum previously. It is great that SASS is now promoting the competition aspect of cowboy action shooting more than in the past and also featuring the younger shooters.

As far as comparing our best shooters with the top shooters in the other shooting sports. I know Lead Dispenser, Deuce, Bud and quite a few others are excellent shooters. Extremely fast shooters. I'm confident that they can also hit targets out there further too. But, our handgun shooting is virtually all between 5 to 10 yards, and big targets. The other handgun sports shoot targets from reach out and touch it range, about 1 yard, to routinely 20 to 25 yards and sometimes 50 yards. A big variety of targets and target sizes. There is no comparison between the challenge faced by cowboy shooters shooting a typical set of cowboy handgun targets and the challenges that a shooter in other handgun shooting sports will face. They have an entirely different set of power factor requirements too. With the big and close targets that are popular in SASS today, you are basically able to pull the trigger nearly as fast as you can cycle the gun. The challenges faced in other sports don't allow you to do that, other than on some occassional close targets. I shoot SASS, Western 3 Gun, IDPA, USPSA and ICORE. I love them all. Smokin Gator

Archived