SASS Wire Forum

Bond Arms Defender .410/45colt or just .45 colt

Mikeyboy

I have several rimfire Single action/cowboy guns, and I'm finally stepping up to Centerfire, and I plan to get a .45colt revolver, a Derringer and lever action rifle. I want to get a Bond Arms Cowboy Defender Derringer first, because I have a permit to carry. Anyway the .410/45colt versions are available at a few store around here, but the .45colt only version are available by special order. I kind of think shooting .410 out of a derringer is a neat, but I hear shooting .45colts out of the 410/45 barrel is not as accurate as the .45colt only version because its part smoothbore for the shotshell then grooved toward the end of the barrel. Is the accuracy difference that great between the two, or is the advantage only slight. I'm not going to compete in SASS just yet, so for right now I just want to have fun at the range, and something that is accurate at self defense distance.

Any difference in accuracy between the two types of barrels is going to be completely overshadowed by the POI difference between the top and bottom barrels. Depending on load your're looking at a 6" split at 10yds.

The derringer is not a long range target gun under any circumstances. At the distances you will be shooting for SASS, the barrel selection doesn't make any difference. For self defense, go with the .410 barrel and use the Winchester PDX1 self defense load with 3 disks and a dozen BB shot.

If you're going to use it as a carry gun get the .45/.410. The .410 personal defense rounds are pricey but nasty (for the bad guy). I took mine to the range last month to check the pattern and at approx 10 ft it is still a really tight pattern. Be prepared for a healthy kick from the .410.

I've got the .45/.410, .38/.357, & .44 special barrels.

Great little gun.

Barry Sloe

Archived