SASS Wire Forum

WARNING

:angry: Captain Woodrow Cahill, SASS # 54363, on 26 January 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

Since Google announced it's been recording every search you make and compiling a big database that's going to be consolodated ... and probably hackable ... I used it one last time to look for an alternative.

Found this ... https://www.ixquick.com/eng/ ... a totally secure search engine that collects no data, doesn't record your IP address, plants no cookies, and is even encrypted.

Figured it was my civic duty to pass this along. God only knows what nefarious things Google has been up to, or is planning.

Captain Woodrow Cahill,

I tried your link, and installed the search engine you recommended as my home page. The very first search I tried locked up my computer so tight that I had to shut it down. Then it would not reboot. It went into STARTUP REPAIR MODE, from which I could not escape. I had to shut it down again and boot into SAFE MODE and then shut down and reboot, whtch worked. It also booted me off the SASS WIRE and I had to go find my password to get back here.

Needless to say, I deleted the new search engine and went back to GOOGLE.

THANKS FOR NOTHING!!! :angry::angry::angry:

I have used Ixquick.com for years with no problems. There's nothing to load except the website. From there you can search anything.

I can't imagine why your computer locked up with its use. I prefer it to Google.

Warhorse

This is Harvey Mushman's post from the other thread ...

===========================================================

ixquick is a search engine just like Google, except it DOES NOT keep a file on you and everything you ever searched, and won't use it as GOOGLE does. :ph34r::angry::ph34r:

It is NOT a "Browser" such as FireFox, Explorer,Safari, etc, and there is nothing to download!!! :o Simply click on the ixquick link and then use it as you used to use Google to search the web. B)

Thanks Very Much Captain Cahill, I'd been looking for this but forgot the name. :)B)

Harvey

=============================================================

I'm kind of puzzled as to why your computer crashed too Deadeye. I just went to the ixquick page, added to my favorites menu (which would be bookmarks in Firefox) and have had no problems. I even added it to the bookmarks on a computer at work, and it's humming along just fine. Without knowing how you tried to download an html page as an executable program this is kind of hard to diagnose. I'll ask my IT guy when he gets in to see if he has any insights.

Just out of curiosity, what anti-virus program are you running? I had similar problems to what you describe on a different computer that was running AVG. Had all kinds of lock-ups and crashes, and finally traced them to the AVG program. It has some conflict problems, and has a bad habit of deleting things it shouldn't and seeing everything as a threat. As a result, it gets confused and the next thing you know down everything goes.

This is Harvey Mushman's post from the other thread ...

===========================================================

ixquick is a search engine just like Google, except it DOES NOT keep a file on you and everything you ever searched, and won't use it as GOOGLE does. :ph34r::angry::ph34r:

It is NOT a "Browser" such as FireFox, Explorer,Safari, etc, and there is nothing to download!!! :o Simply click on the ixquick link and then use it as you used to use Google to search the web. B)

Thanks Very Much Captain Cahill, I'd been looking for this but forgot the name. :)B)

Harvey

=============================================================

I'm kind of puzzled as to why your computer crashed too Deadeye. I just went to the ixquick page, added to my favorites menu (which would be bookmarks in Firefox) and have had no problems. I even added it to the bookmarks on a computer at work, and it's humming along just fine. Without knowing how you tried to download an html page as an executable program this is kind of hard to diagnose. I'll ask my IT guy when he gets in to see if he has any insights.

Just out of curiosity, what anti-virus program are you running? I had similar problems to what you describe on a different computer that was running AVG. Had all kinds of lock-ups and crashes, and finally traced them to the AVG program. It has some conflict problems, and has a bad habit of deleting things it shouldn't and seeing everything as a threat. As a result, it gets confused and the next thing you know down everything goes.

I'm running Microsoft Security Esentials. Also, I have Windows 7 Ultimate. When it locked up there was a warning from MSE that it was no longer running. I could not restart MSE because of the lockup. It sounds to me like there may have been a virus on one of the sites that the search found. The system is still giving me fits. I'm going to update MSE and run a full scan, and then try housecall as well. Will post results.

I went to my original post and followed the link from a different computer running Eset NOD-32 Internet Security, and it didn't make a peep. If there's anything fishy about a site, it lights up like a Christmas tree. Kapersky on another computer didn't have any problems either.

Are you trying to run MSE and Housecall at the same time?

I have seen systems crash when two anti-virus programs get into a conflict.

Looking back, MSE would shut down on that computer I had with AVG on it too. Apparently they'd start slugging it out, and MSE would lose.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure why it's a bad thing that Google will retain the fact that I googled PepBoys this morning. I'm also not sure why they would want to retain that information. If I googled "50 ways to kill the President" maybe I wouldn't want them keeping that, but since I have no desire to kill presidents, make my own meth lab, or research effective uses of chloroform, I'm not too worried about what they keep and don't keep.

I found my new search engine ! :blink:

I would also say watch what you post you never know who might read it .

Or how they might take it .

Just saying think about it . :unsure:

I would also say watch what you post you never know who might read it .

Or how they might take it .

Just saying think about it . :unsure:

Here's a good reason why ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16738209

The FBI is seeking to develop an early-warning system based on material "scraped" from social networks. It says the application should collect "open source" information and have the ability to provide an automated search and scrape capability of social networks including Facebook and Twitter.

An FBI spokeswoman told the BBC that the software being researched was "no different than applications used by other government agencies" and that "the application will not focus on specific persons or protected groups, but on words... and activities constituting violations of federal criminal law or threats to national security."

I went to my original post and followed the link from a different computer running Eset NOD-32 Internet Security, and it didn't make a peep. If there's anything fishy about a site, it lights up like a Christmas tree. Kapersky on another computer didn't have any problems either.

Are you trying to run MSE and Housecall at the same time?

I have seen systems crash when two anti-virus programs get into a conflict.

Looking back, MSE would shut down on that computer I had with AVG on it too. Apparently they'd start slugging it out, and MSE would lose.

Just a thought.

I run MSE only. AVG has never been run on my computer. I turned off MSE's active scan before I ran Housecall.

Housecall found and cleaned a Trojan Horse virus. This virus was very nasty. The first thing it did was turn off MSE and then it scrambled my boot sector.

I have restored my boot sector, and using System Restore, I have got my computer almost back to normal. It still crashes if I multitask too much or do anything that takes a long time, like a large download. After backing up as much as I can, I will format the hard drive and start over. Thank you, everyone for your input, help, and advice.

Archived