SASS Wire Forum

Shot timer for Android devices.

I've been periodically checking the Android Market for a shot timer. The other day I found one called IPSC Shot Timer (Beta), and decided to give it a try. Downloaded it FREE into my Droid 2, and just tried it with some primer-only loads in the rifle and pistol, and yes, it can be easily adjusted (ya fire a calibration shot with the quietest gun), and seems to work well. Not that I'll actually take up this thing called PRACTICE, but I could, and the shot timer didn't cost me a dime.

Jack,

Can/will your app stuff the reading directly into a cell in a Google spreadsheet? That would be pure gold!

Artic

Never used a Google spreadsheet... but it will save the results in a XML file if that works.

Have had the app on my phone for about six months now, seemed to work great, though I have not used it that much after I initially downloaded it because I gained access to a couple of shot timers.

Have not had the best of luck using it to time dry fire... I think the problem is more with my phone than the app (my phone is getting close to two years old and I am kind'a tough on it).

J.D.

It will email the results to me, but I dunno about dropping em into a table.

Dry fire is working. I had to play with the calibration, tripping the calibration "shot" about a foot further from the phone's mic than the "record" shots, in order to get it to NOT pick up the revolver cycling. Mic direction IS critical, at least on my Droid2

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

Wonder if it is SASS legal? Next time the timer dies in the middle of a shoot, wonder if you can whip out your droid phone and keep going.

I don't know about SASS leagal, but it seems to be a inexpensive way to get a timeer if you already have a droid. :)

Eggzackly. I dunno if I'd wanna subject my phone to full time use as a match timer, but in a pinch, at least at a local match, if it hears the shots, records and preserves splits (makes a viewable/ downloadable list actually), and is easy to calibrate for sensitivity, and it is, why not?

I downloaded the Surefire free shot timer for the iPhone.

Here is what I get.

Shot# Elapsed Time Split Time

1 1.40 1.40

2 2.00 0.61

3 2.52 0.51

4 3.07 0.55

5 3.62 0.56

I tested it with primers only and with dry fire. Both worked perfectly.

Archived