SASS Wire Forum

New cap&ball info,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys, I purchased my first cap and ball pistol back in the '60s but of late have been finding out just how little I know concerning them. I figure that most of us are familiar with the Lemat revolvers but I just found out that there was a Lemat carbine also. As I understand it these had nine ball cylinders and the central full length shotgun barrel. Just think, this would actually make a practical Frontiersman category rifle with the shotgun barrel loaded with a ball to render ten shots. I have often thought that SASS should open the Frontiersman category to anyone willing to use two separate carbines, Remington and/or Colts cap and ball models but this Lemat would be even better. No doubt that the acceptance of these three carbines into our game would certainly promote the manufacture of these style guns. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252735859

My second discovery actually relates to another post I made here recently concerning an early Colt variant. Just as I soaked in a very interesting variant I have now learned that it was actually coupled with another early 1860 variant that was extremely new to me. It now seems that the first run of 1860 Colt armys not only left the factory with standard brass Navy size grips but were also manufactured with a 7 1/2" barrel and it is believed that both styles were intended to be standard but those changes were specified by the military 'powers that be'. Some neat photos and a bit more info can be found at the link below. I still think there are more shooters who would prefer these variants as shooting guns over the big gripped Army versions and now we know it did have provenance. Any Uberti spys lurking around? http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40088.0.html

Another cry for Frontiersman competitors to rise up and demand more cap&ball guns to be brought into the fold. Slowhand 'cant have to many choices' Bob

I'm not sure the LeMatt carbine can be used as a main match carbine in Frontiesman as it is not an under barrel tubular magazine carbine.(SHB page 9)

Absolutely it is not, this is somewhat the gist of the topic, these cap and ball carbines are the perfect guns for Frontiersman but do have one major drawback, match delay time. My idea to make sure the Remington and Colt versions do not slow a match unduly was the idea that if a shooter were willing to stage-up with two six-shooter carbines, they should be made legal. This new one would not even have the loading issue since it is a ten shooter anyways. AND I will repeat, just the idea that it would be welcomed in just might encourage the new firearm into the market place, a good thing for cap and ball fans, no?

Just as with any of several old designs we use, one would need to know or learn the 'rules of the road', so to speak, before taking to the field with their new toys. There have been more than a couple of deaths and serious injuries associated with Colts simple single action revolver design but we did not outlaw it based on the theory that our shooters are so unintelligent as to be unable to learn to use it properly. Gee if the guy next to me at The Outback strangles on to big a piece of steak, do they become a Sushi Bar? I think these would be fun guns to shoot and when we can add a period correct firearm to our list, lets try for it. The only safety issue lies with the shooter and is not inherent in the firearm design. There are obstacles, and expense is one of them, but most would simply be a limiting factor to how many would be used BUT golly, let that be the shooters option!

Archived