SASS Wire Forum

missing a pet..

Deja Vous

tonight I was talking to my dad.. We were laughing about Rat dog.. and he mentioned the old dog... I spoke her name and Rat dogs ears went up and she ran around like she was looking for her.. I called out other names from the past that she might remember and the same reaction..... who would have thought that you could break a dogs heart and your own with just a few words?

I have had people tell me pets do not have a memory.. really? Geesh.. the look in her eyes.. these are the moments I will remember all of my life.. and I hope I am enough in her life to make it a good one for her... Pets are the best.. What is that saying about it is better to have lived and loved than to have never loved at all.. they knew what they were talking about.. There is nothing like it, just ask Rat dogs.. hugs.. Deja.

Yup, when my oldest kid (dog) could still hear (he just turned 15 and doesn't hear much anymore, or he has just decided to ignore me most of the time) we had to be careful what we said. His older brother's name was Thunder, and if we said the name, even in reference to a storm coming, poor Sam would get excited and go looking for his Big Brother. Really sad...

If you have never lived with a dog, you may not believe they are capable of the complex emotions that we know they have.

Archived