SASS Wire Forum

Where were you?

Easy Emily SASS #73673

Thanks to all of you for posting. I have read all your posts and I have to say it has been inspiring. I had tears in my eyes as I read them. (even before your great picture Subdeacon Joe, but it did bring more). We live a such a great country and I have to say Cowboys and Cowgirls are the best! We represent all and really we represent what makes this country great. Case in point when a cowboy asks a question about his health, EVERYONE jumps in to say get help now. Or when one of us loses a job you are there for support. Or when we are waiting for news you wait with us. and most of all Many of you have fought for this great country and given great sacrifices to do so. THANK YOU :FlagAm:

Thank you, Ma'am.

One other thing, our parish was just about ready for our annual International Food Fair - the 15th & 16th. We had the final prep and cooking to do. On the 12th we had an emergency meeting of the parish counsel and the food fair committee (pretty much the same people, really). Should we cancel? Postpone it? Could we get the same bands to play the folk dance music if we postponed, and could we get refunds if we cancelled? What about all the food we had already cooked and had on hand to prep? Would the Arab food booth present problems for our guests?

We decided to go ahead and put on the Glendi. Made a few changes - stopped the band at the top of the hour for a prayer service, let people know that they were more than welcome to go into either church to pray, meditate, light candles, and that our clergy and visiting clergy could sit and talk with them if they needed it. They saw that the Arabs in our community were no threat and really no different from anyone else. Vespers on Saturday saw the church packed to overflowing. In fact, the hourly talks on iconography and why Orthodox churches are built the way they are were all pretty well packed.

We did the right thing. We displayed to Sonoma County that Americans, Arabs, Greeks, Serbs, Russians, Romanians, Eritreans, etc. could all work together in peace and harmony. Our guests had a chance to relax, eat, drink, dance, cry, share their stories and concerns, pray or meditate, and start healing.

Got lots of hugs and thanks and tears from our guests that weekend.

I was at work at a small farm owned implement dealer that carried Westfield augers......you know, the big grain auger that move grain to the top of a silo....any way, it was just as bright and clear here as in New York that day.....beautiful day!

Mama Taft was pregnant with the boys at the time and I was stewing over the fact that I had gotten laid off from my current job and had to take the job I was at. I was busy in the shop assembing an auger, beating it with a sledge hammer and cussing it acually.....when this old man that worked in the shop with me came running in and told me to come to the office. The TV was on the news of the WTC.

......I suddenly decided I wasn't having such a bad day anymore.

I stayed at work all day and when I got home I didn't think I could let go of my wife.......if that makes sense.

I didn't want to go back to work and leave her at home alone.......and I didn't for a few days.

My boys homework assignment last night was to watch the news about the 9/11 attacks. They wouldn't stop asking me why I got all teary eyed during the ceremony.

It will never let go of us.........of me.........I'll never forget.

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

I was at work at a small farm owned implement dealer that carried Westfield augers......you know, the big grain auger that move grain to the top of a silo....any way, it was just as bright and clear here as in New York that day.....beautiful day!

Mama Taft was pregnant with the boys at the time and I was stewing over the fact that I had gotten laid off from my current job and had to take the job I was at. I was busy in the shop assembing an auger, beating it with a sledge hammer and cussing it acually.....when this old man that worked in the shop with me came running in and told me to come to the office. The TV was on the news of the WTC.

......I suddenly decided I wasn't having such a bad day anymore.

I stayed at work all day and when I got home I didn't think I could let go of my wife.......if that makes sense.

I didn't want to go back to work and leave her at home alone.......and I didn't for a few days.

My boys homework assignment last night was to watch the news about the 9/11 attacks. They wouldn't stop asking me why I got all teary eyed during the ceremony.

It will never let go of us.........of me.........I'll never forget.

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

Brother EE, I had just finished a truckin' run out to CA the day before and was sleppin' in on 9/11.

The day here was warm, the sky just as blue as it could be. She woke me up, (I had been runnin fer 14 days on 4 hours sleep) and said a plane had hit one of the towers.

Well, the first thing through my mind was an air traffic controller was in some very hot water, when I saw the 2nd plane hit.

I live very near the Minneapolis International Airport. Planes fly over the house day and night. But to see no planes at all was very scary to me.

Then I learned aboout the Pentagon attack and the crash in PA. I watched as the towers fell, and I cryed like a baby.

On Sept 12th, I went to the recuiters station, told them I was ready to fight once again for me country and to take me out of retirement. And they agreed. To make a long story short, I had one foot on the bus, with a duffle bag in my hand and the recuiter pulled me off. He asked me about my heart attack a few months before to which I replyed, "What heart attack ?" They said 1st Sergent, we can't allow you to fight or train anymore !!!

I went home and I cryed somemore......nowing that these bastards mudered Americans and I could not do anything about it. :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I had just moved back to Cottonwood, AZ from New Jersey. Got up early and was watching the news when it happened.... It was hard to believe.... I had flown in and out of Newark Airport many, many times. It was always good to see the WTC and the Statue of Liberty from the window of the plane. I had lived 30 miles away and could faintly see the WTC from the freeway even that far away.

I did not know anyone who worked there at the time, but several who had worked there in the past. Had been up to the top of one of the towers...the express elevators were amazing to ride.... the view from the top left you speechless.

I started to watch one of the programs on the History Channel last night... couldn't finish. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like that day.

:FlagAm: NEVER FORGET.

We were at Cleburne, Texas getting ready to sit up for the regional in Glenn Rose. I had the TV on to check weather and saw the first plane (I thought like many others, it was a small plane that got caught up in trouble.) As I watched live I saw the second plane come around, clearly thinking he was an observation plane to look and see if anybody was a live, and what can he do. In very short order it became clear that was not the intent.

The entire time at The Regional, there was not a lot of talking about anything but the towers. In fact we were not sure the match would be finished, because so many had to leave. As most others, none of us knew what would take place, so everthing was loaded and carried for quite some time after. Extra ammo was stashed and long range black guns had the dust blown out and readied. It was not a good time. CAS survived, but we lost a lot of shooters that day.

I also read the accounts of the two scrambled pilots for flight 93. They did not have time to be armed, and had no immedeiate backup. There plan was one was to take out the nose section and the second was to take out the tail section (inflict as much damamge as possible), and eject if possible just prior to impact. The passengers saved them the trouble. The passengers already knew their fate and accepted it.

It was the most harrowing day in my memory bank, and I had a few that I would like to forget. GOD Bless all here today!!!:FlagAm:

Archived