SASS Wire Forum

What would be YOUR reaction to this.

Ace_of_Hearts

Accidently sweeping someone (with a large possie and many people moving about) with a newby can happen. But an intentional act of carelessness is unacceptable. If they were new I would calmly explain that what he did was dangerous and why and ask him to be more careful. If he was a "seasoned" shooter I would calmly explain that what he did was dangerous and explain how much it was unappreciated and ask the match director to ask him to leave. If the match director did not ask this unsafe shooter to leave, I would ask for my shooting fee back and leave myself. there is no room for carelessness and stupidity in our sport.

Slim

What we have here is a feller NOT THINKING. He thinks he's being "cute" or "cool" or whatever, after spending hours in front of the mirror practicing his gun tricks. Even if he is SURE the gun is empty (them's the ones folks git killed with all the time), he failed to anticipate the reaction of his audience.

I'm tryin to think of how our very BEST ROs woulda handled it, say if half a dozen folks were hanging out with their coffee, early on the morning of a shoot, and some feller did this. I'm thinkin ole "Mild mannered Jack" (not this Jack, a different one) woulda said something like "Whoa there fella! We don't spin guns or otherwise point em at people EVER."

"Burly but fair Dan" woulda probably broke into "church cussin" and questioned the guy's sanity, but basically told him the same thing "Whaddaya nuts? Ya don't point any gun at any person for any reason".....

Both woulda probably insisted on being shown that the gun WAS empty, then told the feller to holster it and leave it holstered until he got to the LT.

TEACHING is always preferred to bannishment whenever possible. Remember, this infraction happened during that grey area before the start of the shoot, a time when dozens of folks are getting guns out of cars, many check em before hostering em, some don't. Some lay pistols on truck hoods while the put gunbelts on, and anybody walking past the truck gets swept, etc.....

There is likely no EXACT rule that covers everything possible, but unless ya have obvious or demonstrable malice aforethought, teaching beats banning IMHO.

Wild West Arts

SASS® Wire Wild West Arts Forum is a forum for the Membership of SASS® and guests interested in

Western Performing Arts such as gun spinning, whip cracking, rope spinning and etc.

All users are subject to the policies set for by The Single Action Shooting Society

in their Moderator Guidelines posted on this site

Just Sayin' ?? well, I don't know what I'm sayin' ??

You tell me, What am I sayin' ???

WHY

Well, Whimpy, Ya got me wonderin if maybe he's a competitive spinner??? Did everyone at the Convention start freaking out when the gun spinners were up on stage to perform or when they were spinning during the convention ball?

Maybe the guy needed to be handled TACTFULLY and the match director could EXPLAIN that the place for gun spinning is NOT at a SASS match even is it is before the match is started. The key to dealing with safety issues is to "not be a hard ass" but tactfully explain the issues to the person who haw a safetly infraction.

Archived