SASS Wire Forum

What I really liked about HOW

Blastmaster

What made the Stages at HOW so enjoyable to me?

1) There was numerous vertical staging of long guns, both rifle & shotguns. There was a plywood horse, there was a rack on the left/right wall to stage shotgun on one stage, and there was about 3 stages with portable vertical gun racks that were solid, had a generous box for the butt to sit in and numberous barrel holders,,,, oh yes and a coffin on another stage. The portable gun racks were awesome, sturdy and if your gun fell out, well, you had to try.

2) Excellent movement, both to the right, to the left and even a zig-zag to the left and right.... Plus downrange movement. Movement wasn't just a step, but several.

3) The organizers placed a possee on every other bay, so there was no possees crowding into the next.

4) No poppers or fliers.

5) about 4 stages had odd number of rifle rounds. Made you think and get out of the usual 10-10-4

6) no bonus targets.

7) no R/P kd's

8) Targets were generous in size and reasonable close. Yep you could miss but 31 folks out of 263 were clean for the match.

9) The staff at HOW had the weather dialed in perfectly. Wasn't hot and no thunderstorms. :rolleyes:

10) Sweeps were simple w/o duplicating other stages. Stage books were well written and easy to comprehend.

11) For the most part, the stages were straight forward, but did allow for some creative thinking. I asked on three stages if I could do something different, and two were granted.

12) You had to stage your long gun into the groves of the plywood horse. Club rule, good, they had the answer.

Recap, they had vertical staging of guns, I liked that and haven't seen it in a long time. Possee 9 bellied up and shot the stages with vigor and cheer.

Blastmaster

Blastmaster,

You are so right. It was great not to get backed up by another posse. Everything ran so smooth. All but 1 of the stages was gunfighter friendly and the 1 that wasn't was double duelist.

Red River knows how to put on a match that is for sure. He is all about making his shooters happy. I shoot with that crew almost every month. There is something to be said for a match that on a monthly basis will bring in over 100 shooters, yes I said over 100. If you want to have more fun come to the Annual for Pawnee Station on Aug 19,20 & 21st. I think he has the same stage writters for that one. It will be fun. If you think HOW was come come to the annual too.

I travel about 2 1/2 hours one way to go to their monthlies and do it most every month. Sometimes twice cause they shoot the 5th Saturday too.

Painted Filly

I travel about 2 1/2 hours one way to go to their monthlies and do it most every month. Sometimes twice cause they shoot the 5th Saturday too.

Painted Filly

This is not a paid advertisement. There were no actors used in the making of this post. What you just read is an actual testimonial by a MAD WOMAN who will not be denied her FIX for a Pawnee Station Vindicators match. ;)

Hey! Now that I think about it some of those cool Capt Jack Storm facades made their way to be used in the Pawnee Annual, right?

I forgot to mention that the Boy Scouts did and awesome job there at HOW. Yes, it was a 'main match' lost brass match of which the Boy Scouts cleaned the bays of brass and resold to whomever. Side matches and warm up matches, you got your brass back. Which means, you lost less than, 120rd of rifle brass plus whatever shotgun hulls during the main match.... The Boy Scouts also repainted the targets for each posse....sooooooo that means, every time you went to shoot, the targets were repainted fer ya. Yahoooo!!! I also saw the BS restocking the tubs at every other bay with bottled water and ice. I will gladly give up 120 rds of xx reloaded brass and two boxes of Remington throw away Gun Club Hulls to keep from picking brass and painting targets.

for you 40+ caliber shooters, YMMV,

Blastmaster

Archived