SASS Wire Forum

Town-line NY, CSA

Subdeacon Joe

Who Says History Isn't Fun?

It wasn’t until it was brought up about the 1920's (from the town advisor in Alden) that Town-line was not paying taxes, and was still technically "out of the Union", but nothing was done about it.

It came up again in the 1930's and again in 1945. The town had formed a special committee to do something about it, and this special committee chairman even wrote President Truman about their problem.

The President gave them some advice: {paraphrase: Why don’t you run down the fattest calf in Erie County, barbecue it and serve it with fixins, and sort out your problems}

Gotta love Harry S

ADDED:

Another link with more information.

JUST WHERE DO YOU FIND THIS STUFF, JOE?

Fascinating!

I haunt several Civil War forums. Some things, like this one, others post. Some, like the old cookbooks and ordnance manuals I posted links to, I find either because I'm looking for them, or I get sidetracked and follow interesting looking links.

I will also come across something in a book, wonder if the author is correct, and try to run it down. Which can also lead to interesting side tracks.

I think more people would take more interest in history is little snippets like this were lurking in history books.

My interest was strong when, whilee cleaning out Grandmaw attic,we found a old trunk.

When I opened it, der was a uniform of a Sargent Major of da 3rd Texas Artillery, complete wif saddle.

Found out it was one of my relatives......still tracking dat part down.

My interest was strong when, whilee cleaning out Grandmaw attic,we found a old trunk.

When I opened it, der was a uniform of a Sargent Major of da 3rd Texas Artillery, complete wif saddle.

Found out it was one of my relatives......still tracking dat part down.

Now THAT'S a find! Do you still have it? Or did it go to a museum? Any photos?

You might try asking here: http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs53x/txcwmb/webbbs_config.pl

Archived