SASS Wire Forum

Help with my Marlin

rippin kid

I have a relatively new Marlin (3 matches and range time). Well yesterday it stopped ejecting spent bullets. I had to turn the gun and shake to get the empties out. I got a minor safety penalty on a clean stage because an empty did not fall out at the end of my run and it was still there at the unloading table. Anyway is there something to fix or do before I send it back to Marlin or bring it to a gunsmith?

Either the ejector broke or you lost the ejector. Have you pulled the bolt from your rifle to clean the rifle.? I once cleaned a Marlin and did not notice that the ejector fell out. It is a V shaped thing that fits in a slot in the frame behind the bolt. If you look in a opened action you should be able to see it's leg sticking out. I hope this helps you.

Either the ejector broke or you lost the ejector. Have you pulled the bolt from your rifle to clean the rifle.? I once cleaned a Marlin and did not notice that the ejector fell out. It is a V shaped thing that fits in a slot in the frame behind the bolt. If you look in a opened action you should be able to see it's leg sticking out. I hope this helps you.

I think that it!! I cleaned it last Monday. I guess I need to order a new V shaped thing. Thanks Capt.

I think that it!! I cleaned it last Monday. I guess I need to order a new V shaped thing. Thanks Capt.

Did it fall on the floor or is it inside the gun still? It just falls out when the bolt is removed.The little bump on the side sits in a hole in the left side of the action. The spring rides in the groove in the side of the bolt as it moves back and forth.

Well it is easy enough to see what is going on. Carefully put an EMPTY piece of brass into the chamber and close the lever. Hold the gun so the bolt is in front of your nose. Very very very slowly open the lever and watch the brass being pulled from the chamber. Is the extractor holding the brass parallel to the barrel as it comes back after it clears the chamber? If so extractor is probably OK. If not then extractor spring needs some adjustment (too much spring and brass with tilt up, too little spring and brass will droop). Then keep opening the lever and see if the ejector flicks out the brass from the gun about an inch at very very low speed. If empty is not ejected outside the gun (but not far) then the problem is with the ejector. Ejector is either missing or improperly set up, or has come apart (spring from body of wishbone looking device).

Well if you've seen any of my posts you will know this is a problem. The extractor spring is weak in the new Marlins. Take it to a gun Smith and switch it out or try bending it a little and it will work fine for a while.

Archived