SASS Wire Forum

A Day With A Hero

Bama Red

:FlagAm: This morning started out cool (upper 70’s) and dry, but I knew I’d be facing The Beast later in the day. About thirty of us PGR members met in a parking lot a few miles away from Maple Hill Cemetery, in Huntsville, Al, and made our run to the cemetery. The usual dignitaries (congressman, mayor, CG of Redstone Arsenal, various ministers, a rabbi) were there, most of them looking for face time on local TV.

But amongst all these folks, there was a true hero, Warrant Officer Mike Durant, US Army (Ret.) was there to talk about Blackhawk Down, as well as the role of his former unit, the160th Special Operations Group, in the recent killing of bin Laden.

Mike Durant

He talked movingly of the two Delta operators who volunteered to jump in when his Blackhawk was shot down and were killed during a raging gun battle in Mogadishu. Only Durant survived, and he became a POW when the crash site was overrun. Both Delta operators were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

MSgt. Gordon and SFC. Shugart

It’s a good thing that the heat and humidity (96*, Heat Index 100*) had everyone sweating like crazy, or you might have thought that all us PGR riders were crying by the time he was done. Noticed a lot of other folks “sweating”, too.

Prayers up for all our servicemen and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice, so we might enjoy the sweet fruits of freedom.

I can recommend Durant's excellent book "In the Company of Heroes". It's hell of a story.

I hearsd Lt. Col. Bobby McKnight (the ground troops commander played by Tom Sizemore in the movie) speak at a conference a few years ago. There is a lot of amazing stuff about the battle that didn't make it into the movie. The men of Task Force Ranger did an absolutely amazing job that day. They are all true heroes.

Rest in Peace Sgts Gordon and Shugart. YOur names are spoken in reverent tones in the Special Forces community.

De Oppresso Liber. :FlagAm:

Archived