SASS Wire Forum

Don't ya hate it when ya can't git stuff

A while back I loaned out my ONLY example of the Cowboy .45 Special Carrier, a prototype normally used as a piece to show folks..... The carriers have been out of stock as we await the Italians to make the carrier blocks we use to make em, and as anyone who has ever waited for Uberti parts knows, that can be a while.

So of course I stumbled into a 73 and decided to buy it. Now I got no carrier..... I can't be seen shooting LONG Colt, bad fer business, so what to do?

First I thought I'd get the small bits and machine the original carrier on my little hand-cranked mill. A plan that worked great until i took the carrier out of the new (to me) Codymatic, and discovered the carrier in it had been so skeletonized there was no metal left for the Cowboy Carrier conversion. DRAT!

But in my stash of stuff I DID have a Cowboy Carrier for a '60 Henry. Hmmm? So I commenced to carve a loading slot in the Henry block (maddening fit and try to get that right), and rounded off the bottom with a big flat file to a '73 contour. Shazaam, I got me a Cowboy .45 Special Codymatic after all. Take that you miserable Italian parts people..... As an aside, the well-used '73 that has been "Cody-ized" is a real nice rifle to cycle. Sweet!

Now where's that Cowboy Carrier dude? I need to kick his behind. (oh, that's me. Never mind) :)

I think I have an extra carrier or two. Would you be interested if I did ??

AJ,

Think I've got 4 - 5 Carrier Blocks that haven't been machined yet. There not "new." Coupple have a little tarnish (patina :unsure:) but there "near new." If it'll help I'll be happy to box 'em up and send 'em your way. I'm sure we can arrange a mutually agreable trade :rolleyes:

Coffinmaker

Heyya AJ,

I underdstand that the C45S in BP is near identical to the 44 rimfire used in the Henry. Would a special carrier for the '73 work in my Uberti Henry? That would be the 'cat's meow' :D

I could load 15 on Sunday and shoot all week - well, not at a SASS match anyway - :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Heyya AJ,

I underdstand that the C45S in BP is near identical to the 44 rimfire used in the Henry. Would a special carrier for the '73 work in my Uberti Henry? That would be the 'cat's meow' :D

I could load 15 on Sunday and shoot all week - well, not at a SASS match anyway - :lol:

We make em for the Henry as well as the 73. My 24" Marlin holds 17+1.....

We make em for the Henry as well as the 73. My 24" Marlin holds 17+1.....

Right on!!!! This will be the thing to do I reckon! ...the only thing I will need to do is get C45S dies and brass (I think I can use a 200gr Big Luber bullet)..

This sport just gets more and more cool I say!

Thanks

Archived