SASS Wire Forum

Original 1887 loading

Tom Bullweed

I have been shooting APP FFg mild laods in my original Winchester 1887 12-gage. Lots of fun and lots of cleaning.

Several people have told me that they used to shoot light smokeless loads in theirs. It seems that these guns were very popular several years ago but the fad died. It seems to be coming back strong with the various imported '87s.

I know that we should not posted loads on this forum, but I would appreciate just knowing if you have successfully tried this. You can PM your load data if you wish.

Don't. Your short chamber will generate excess pressure with 2 3/4" shells no matter how light. Even if you bore the chamber out for modern shells you are still dealing with the pressure curve of smokeless vs. BP.

I wouldn't even use APP because it's a "hot-rodded" make believe BP want-a-bee powder.

BP cleaning is EASY.....IF you use the right stuff that is.

I would ONLY shoot lightly loaded REAL BP in that '87 ;)

Cheers,

LG

I live in a fairly urban area with no less than twelve gun shops selling reloading and muzzleloading stuff. None of them stock or sell real BP. I read everyone's posts about real BP and remember when I shot it by the pound in my Springfield 1861 copy. I cannot make myself pay the hazmat fee for shipping it to my house. Maybe some will turn up at a show or such.

A square load with 7/8 ounce of shot and a trimmed wad is working pretty well in this gun. After giving it some more thought, I will likely just shoot the gun with this one load. Maybe I can smoke my rabbit when I 'harvest' him.

Archived