SASS Wire Forum

Neck Surgery

Buckhorn Woodie

Monday my wife had neck surgery ....they sent her home the next day...She had two disks replaced with cadaver bone with some titanium plates...I was wondering if anyone here has had similar surgery or has been around anyone the first few days after surgery....If so what was your first week after surgery like?

YUP BTDT C 6 and 7 disks replaced with cadaver bone, titanium plate and 6 screws still in me.

Been a fair time back, but don't recall it being much of a big deal recovery wise.

Funny story, I was in surgery a bit longer than expected, when the doc went out to the waiting room, rather than greet Miz Grizz with how it went, how I was doing, or whatever he said "your husband has the biggest neck I've ever seen on a human being." She was like, yeah, so what, is he ok?

My primary care doc assisted in the surgery, the next time I saw him he said they nearly had to close me up and reschedule as the instruments were too short.

YUP BTDT C 6 and 7 disks replaced with cadaver bone, titanium plate and 6 screws still in me.

Been a fair time back, but don't recall it being much of a big deal recovery wise.

That is just what the wife had done....she is not doing well with the recovery part:(

That is just what the wife had done....she is not doing well with the recovery part:(

I had the c6, c7 fusion. They took a piece of my hip bone to do the fusion. Doc said my body was more likely to heel with my own bone. Was done in 2003, have problems with it still but not as severe as before the surgury. Doc says my problems now stem from arthritis at surgical sight. I get steriod injections every year or so at the sight, seems to help.

woodie, sorry to hear she's not doing as well as you all would like. When I had mine done I had a trip to Australia planned shortly after the surgery, so I may have been in denial just so I could still go. I could be a little off on the time table, but IIRC 2-3 weeks post surgery I was scuba diving on the great barrier reef.

FWIW, before surgery my left hand was about useless due to nerves being pinched in my neck. I'm left handed so that was a big deal. I quickly regained full use of it and have had few problems since.

Best of luck to her on the recovery.

Grizz

Yessirre! I had 1 in 1999 and another in 2005. I had no problems. Just take it easy and wear the cervical collar to prevent sudden movement and over bending of the neck. Prescribed pain killers but didn't have to use. Just don't over rotate head causing strain on neck. No headaches either.

Archived