SASS Wire Forum

what to use on leather?

MMJ#89586

I would contact your leather maker, and ask him what he suggests. There could be some compatability issues regarding finishing techniques.

After saying that, keep them clean, dont over oil, and use a product like Skidmores leather cream once in a blue moon.

For oil, I prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lightly applied and wiped off.

DM

I would contact your leather maker, and ask him what he suggests. There could be some compatability issues regarding finishing techniques.

After saying that, keep them clean, dont over oil, and use a product like Skidmores leather cream once in a blue moon.

For oil, I prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lightly applied and wiped off.

DM

Yeah, 2 fer EVOO :D

I particularly agree with all Dalton had to say but really see no problem with any of the advice so far. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION!!!! but for almost ten years now I have been wiping all of my old beat up holsters with the same Ballistol rag that I do my final gun wipe with. In my lifetime I will never recommend this but do now personally believe that it is not harming the leather. The one thing that I can not stress enough is to go very light with your choice of conditioners/oil as more good leather is ruined by to much attention than is by not enough.

PS: Forgot to say that I use a tiny bit of neats foot oil on newly made full grain leather items with a top coat seal.

Archived