SASS Wire Forum

Plumbers Putty for moulding grips?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I had a funny thought cross my mind while driving to work tonight. Would it be practical to use plumbers putty to make a set of grips that are custom fit to your hand? Of course, this is for a non-CAS gun.

I'm talking about the stuff that comes in tubes that are about the consistency of modeling clay. The inner and outer layers are separate but make up the epoxy components. You break off a chunk, knead it until it's a consistent color, and then you get about fifteen minutes of working time before the epoxy cures.

I've used it on lots of home repair jobs. It's easy to shape, cures hard as rocks, and looks like it can be sanded, painted, and finished.

Any thoughts or experience? If not, I'll give it a whirl and post the results.

It should work. The best way to do it would be to add it to a set of existing grips.

Sand down a set of existing grips for the gun somewhat smaller than the finished size would be. Put the grips on the gun. Mix the putty and apply it to the grips. Wet your hand and place it around the grip. Keep your skin wet so the putty doesn't stick. When the putty is molded to your liking, clamp the barrel in a padded vice and let the putty fully cure. Finish as needed.

I've done this with bondo and it worked great. Don't forget to leave a way to remove the grips. I used a thin, diamond cutoff wheel on a Dremel.

I wouldn't do it again, though. It was a lot of work. :blush:

I did this years ago to my 1911 target pistol. I had one of those grip mount for a scope. It was flat and I wanted a thumb rest. So I made one of epoxy and it worked great. I shot that combination for a long time, till the mount broke off and my scope went sailing down range. BUT the thumb rest was still there!

Two-Bit Charlie

did this with a high standard HD with Bondo many years ago... a tip wrap the grip frame with plastic wrap (and any parts of the gun that might the epoxy on them too) it will help with clean up. as has been said a lot of work including finishing and painting ( I used sand in the final coat of paint and while functional no slip grips were the result they were not what I would call attractive)

Archived