SASS Wire Forum

New 92 now what to do

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards...I took the Wife to a family gatherin' up in pueblo. this weekend..dropped her off and was supposed to go shopping for flooring carpeting ,solar system etc. for the new 5ft wheel camper we got, to make it ready for Winter range....Shopped till I dropped and managed to still be 400.00 under budget.....Any ways I went to the gun show at the fair grounds up there...I got a deal on a Lsi rossi 92 brass rifle..new but I think it could be 4 yr.s old..I haven't ever seen any brass ones before..and the finish looks like flat black coal...could stand it so I got out the scotch brite and stared scrubbing...the wood was very nicely figured, both stock and forearm!!!!Why would they paint nice would so black??????I have a 66, a henry, and like brass...the 92 is so stiff ya almost can't cycle the action....So can y'all help with what to finish or seal the wood with ?? and I will need to get the dvd form stevegunz to get the action slicked up....Any help would be much Obliged......Tuco.

Howdy Pards...I took the Wife to a family gatherin' up in pueblo. this weekend..dropped her off and was supposed to go shopping for flooring carpeting ,solar system etc. for the new 5ft wheel camper we got, to make it ready for Winter range....Shopped till I dropped and managed to still be 400.00 under budget.....Any ways I went to the gun show at the fair grounds up there...I got a deal on a Lsi rossi 92 brass rifle..new but I think it could be 4 yr.s old..I haven't ever seen any brass ones before..and the finish looks like flat black coal...could stand it so I got out the scotch brite and stared scrubbing...the wood was very nicely figured, both stock and forearm!!!!Why would they paint nice would so black??????I have a 66, a henry, and like brass...the 92 is so stiff ya almost can't cycle the action....So can y'all help with what to finish or seal the wood with ?? and I will need to get the dvd form stevegunz to get the action slicked up....Any help would be much Obliged......Tuco.

Most likely because the wood doesn't match. Once you strip it you may find the forened is a different color or gran than the buttstock.

This gun was like that.

Tu-Tone ROSSI 32-20

Once I stripped it I found the forend was much lighter almost blonde with no grain at all. The buttstock was somewhat red with grain. So, with some red stain and smeared magic marker black to simulate the grain I got a fair match. Then both got 4 or 5 coats of BC Tru-Oil.

I shoot Rossi and original '92s.

Tung oil seems to give a good, original-looking finish to the 'walnut' looking wood from S. America.

Steve's guns notes are good. Take it slow with modifying the main spring. This may require several turns at assembly/disassembly but most '92 shooters need to practice that anyways.

I also stone the vertical bolts. I do not cut down the small spring that keeps the lever in place. The factory extractor spring can make the last 1/4" of closing very tough as the extractor eases over the case rim.

Rossi's are very picky about ammo. My only feeds .357's with 125-135 grain lead tapered-flat head bullets with any consistency. '92s are strong, but the more you tune them, the more finicky they can be about variations in ammo length and shape.

I put a light coat of walnut stain and wiped it down good with a reg before it dried, then coated it with a few hand rubbed coats of Tru Oil. I guess I could have let the stain soak in a little more, but I like the way it turned out.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/shooterbill/f33f75f0.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/shooterbill/f9a85ef1.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/shooterbill/a727f861.jpg

Archived