SASS Wire Forum

One pistolie down one to go!

Red Feather Roy

Hey all I just wanted to let you know I’ve made my first step into sass. I just got my new Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt / ACP pistol. I put 150 rounds of ACP thru her on Saturday – wow I love this gun. I hope to have a twin by Feb and a rifle by March and shooting my guns in matched by April!

Roy

Welcome to the game! I hope you progress quickly and can make it to the 4-Corners Regional in April. The 45 ACP cylinder will allow you to practise using inexpensive, easy to obtain brass. Try out a Blackhawk worked on by Wes Fargo or Longhunter and you will want yours tuned the same way.

Hey RFR,

You don't have to wait to collect all the guns to go shoot!

My first CAS experience, I was lacking a 'cowboy' shotgun so I brought my Mossberg pump just in case it was 'OK' to shoot it. Since it was just a small 'practice' match, the club allowed me to shoot my newfangled shotgun - but more than one cowboy offered to let me shoot theirs. I felt kinda funny about shooting a stranger's guns, so I declined their kind offers. I did find a 'CAS legal' side-by-side shotgun about a week later.

At my second match I, absent-minded fool that I can be, accidentally left my pistols at home! Another cowboy very graciously offered to 'share' his and after humbly accepting his generous offer, I realized I didn't have any ammo in his caliber. Another cowboy offered me some reloaded ammo and after forcing him to accept some $$, I proceeded to greatly enjoy shooting the match.

At my third match my rifle was giving me fits and more than one cowboy offered to let me shoot theirs.

My point here (other than my early-onset senility) is that most SASS clubs are very friendly and will help outfit a new shooter until he can acquire all the hardware! So if you're itching to shoot but you're lacking a second pistol or a shotgun, don't let that keep you from heading over to the range for a monthly match and giving it a try.

Oh, and WELCOME TO SASS!!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaay,

That Masked Man

I had been a life member of sass for some time before I went to a shoot. And I went without my guns. Almost everyone, I think it was everyone but my memory isn't what it used to be, offered their guns and really pressed me to use them. Finally Jubal Sackett, another attorney, pointed to his cart and told me to pick some. I was looking at a row of weapons that I am sure were worth more than my truck. I picked a 73, a stoeger and two colts. I eventually bought the stoeger, stilll lust after the colts and bought my own 73. I've been to club shoots where they corraled forest service employees, power company employees and local residents that came to see what the shooting was all about, loaded them up with very expensive guns and told them the course of fire. I had delayed shooting because I wasn't sure of the protecol or people. I need not have worried. the protocol was simple and the people were, and continue to be, wonderful beyond words. Sackett and I still joke about it.

One of the reasons why I purchased the .45 Colt / .45 ACP was due to my 3000+ ACP rounds. I now have 100 colt empties waiting to be loaded and shot. As I have been a very good boy this year Santa should bring me more colt brass :lol:

I have shot a couple of practice days at Pawnee Station. I was going to arrange to shoot last month but I had to work. Things look good for this month as long as the weather holds out. SASS members are defiantly some of the friendliest people I have met. I could not get over how many people offer to let me shoot their guns on my first visit.

Roy

Archived