SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 1050 38 SC adapter insert

Posted (edited)

Just a tip for ya if you have a Dillon 1050 and looking to load 38 short colt. Dillon does not support this caliber and thought I’d try to rig something together. First problem working on is the case feed.  I took an adapter(45 acp red)  and made an insert for it from a 45-70 case.  I first cut off the base end and put a fairly radical flare on the base end of case. This flare is to hold the insert in the adapter and provide a big enough forcing cone to prevent brass from hanging up in the drop tube. The OAL of the flared insert is 1.670.  And using the Case feed plunger  (small)   Seems to work without and hang ups.

Not my intent to go into every detail as most who have a 1050 are more conversant than me and know the little details not discussed here. It took about 30 min to make insert and fit check. I had to keep flaring the insert (which shortened OAL) to provide enough clearance to pass over the case feed plunger but not interfere with next brass to drop. Also, think would work for 38 S&W.

short1.jpg

short2.jpg

Edited by Fallon Kid
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Most excellent.  Anytime someone comes up with a fix to a problem I applaud them.  What I used was the 9mm case feed adapter (green).  It is the correct length and just needs a .38 rim size drill bit run down the center hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1