SASS Wire Forum

I.A.B 1874 set trigger

slow poke gear

So I have a IAB 1874 sharps, my son and I are having a hard time getting the set trigger to set, we are having to squeeze REALLY hard! Has anyone had this or know how to fix this?

Thanks

Slow poke

Howdy Slow,

I hope this helps. First, there is a lot of misunderstanding about how double set triggers are supposed to work. They are a separate spring loaded system that trips the lock's sear to drop the hammer.

Most double set triggers have two adjustment screws. One that is the most accessible (I think it's between the two triggers. Too lazy to go down and open the safe.) is for adjusting the engagement of the set trigger sear of the front trigger. This is often mistaken for a weight adjustment. It is not! I controls how much the rear trigger sear engages the front trigger. It can often be adjusted to the point where the there triggers won't "set" if turned in too much.

Now look closely behind the rear trigger. There should be another screw there. It tensions the rear trigger spring. That spring powers the rear trigger to kick up and release the sear that drops the hammer. rotating this screw clockwise should reduce the tension on the rear trigger spring. You want the tension to just be enough to trip the sear in the lock when the front trigger is pressed. The tension on the rear trigger spring is often excessive on many guns from the factory. 

Once the tension on the rear trigger spring is set (reduced) to the lightest it can be and still reliably trip the hammer sear and drop the hammer, the front screw can be used to adjust the trigger sear engagement. Care should be taken to allow a light let off, but not truly "hair" trigger. Adjust to a crisp release, be be sure that some pressure is required. 

The above is my understanding of how these things work. I can't try your rifle and don't have direct experience with an IAB rifle so proceed at your own risk or seek a qualified gunsmith. I have no responsibility for you situation. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Rev. Chase

• Like 1
  • Haha 1