SASS Wire Forum

Something I never considered before

Alpo

We've all heard "does a bear poop in the woods?"

This is a screenshot from the movie Wolverine.

IMG_20240210_175142235.thumb.jpg.e264485eb6031a0a4d44939a22733ead.jpg

How does a bear pee in the woods? This CGI bear lifted his leg on that tree like he was a dog. Do they really do that?

well ....my answer to that question was alway " sorta" , we always camped in the woods - generally remote to some degree and they always pooped in our camp site , so yes and no , 

came back to add that i think they pooped in our campsite because we had all our food stuffs secured out of their reach - in a tree or off shore in the boundary waters and  in a bear locker [in voyagers park] had plenty of bears in camp area when cooking and such , 

Edited by watab kid

Well, according to the National Park service, they don't. They don't pee by lifting their leg on a bush like a dog.

https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/photosmultimedia/brown-bear-frequently-asked-questions.htm#24

Said you can tell boy bears from girl bears by watching them pee. Boys pee straight down in front of them and girls pee behind them. There's a photo of a girl bear peeing, but I hesitate to post it here.

But the grizzly bear in the movie lifting his leg is apparently nonsense.

• Thanks 2