SASS Wire Forum

Talk about a rough training op...

A US Army solider was killed after he was attacked by a bear at a training base in Alaska, the army said, in what officials described as a likely case of a mother bear protecting her cubs. The Army Alaska said in a statement on Thursday that Staff Sgt. Seth Michael Plant was attacked by a bear on Tuesday while working in a training area at the Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson (JBER) military facility. He was then brought to the facility's hospital where he was declared dead, the army said. A second solider was also attacked, sustaining minor injuries. The soldier was released from hospital after they were treated, the army said.

God speed, young man. :FlagAm:

We were doing winter training at Camp Drum NY in 68 long before it became the 10th Mountain Div base. It’s remote and was only used as an NG summer training facility at that time. My grandad trained there in 1917. The barracks were still there.
As we prepared to head out into the forest for a 3 day exercise I was given a box of M16 ammo. I pointed out to the S4 that it was a commo ftx, not a tactical one and that he had mistakenly given me live ammo. 
“Keep it, he said. Wolves”

He was right. We kept a big fire going for 3 nights and listened to them howl. Tracks just outside our camp. :wacko:

Archived