SASS Wire Forum

Double Actions (and some single action issues)

I have always been interested in double actions in the Old West, they always were just more interesting to me than the single actions for the simple fact that most of them were available at the same time making them clearly superior, and were I actually around back then it is what I would have preferred, because why carry a single when you have a double (yes I know some of them were a bit delicate with heavy pulls, but I like having the ability if I needed it, even if generally I’d be firing in single action anyway)?  Also I like being contrarian.

Anyway my question is this, would I be able to use an original double action in competition if I only fired it in single action?  I ask because there are a couple I’m considering buying and it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

Alternatively, the only single actions I currently have are 1858 Remingtons, unfortunately one is an Armi San Marco and parts are impossible to find, let alone conversion cylinders and the other is a Pietta.  I can get things for the Pietta without issue, that’s why I bought it, however getting what I want is an issue.  I want a gated conversion with SIX chambers, unfortunately Kirst only offers 5 in .45 Colt and no longer makes the 6 shot .44 Colt due to lack of demand and all other options are out of stock, including factory conversions. I’m not a fan of the drop in conversions, reloading them is just too clunky.

Yes I know I could get an SAA clone, but I already have the 1858s and I’ve never really been a fan of the SAA (I know, heresy), it just seems to have been obsolete from the start, I know it was popular (though not as much as people think), but with options like the Smith and Wesson Number 3 and Schofield already on the market, not to mention other top breaks and things like the Merwin and Holbert, and the British imports like the Webley it was obsolete from the start, more appropriate for the cartridge conversion era than 1873, then there was the whole only being able to safely load 5 thing.

One of the things that draws me to the 1858 cartridge conversions is the ability to safely load all 6 chambers due to the safety notches/firing pin rests (outside of competition of course which sadly seems geared toward the SAA and the like with the 5 round limit), and the hot swap cylinders (which is not inhibited by the gate loading conversion, the whole gate assembly can pop out with the cylinder).  So if I HAD to carry it (or if I wanted to use it for hunting) I would have some advantages.

So, getting back on topic, if I got the antique double actions I wouldn’t care about converting the 1858 Remingtons to cartridges as I would already have cartridge revolvers, which are more capable being double actions.

Right Now I am considering a Smith and Wesson First model .44 Double Action, a Third model .38 Merwin and Holbert, and a 1905 Colt New Service in .45 Colt, and a Webley Mark 1.  I looked for the Colt New Army too in .38 LC but could not find one within a reasonable price range.

10 minutes ago, 9245 said:

Anyway my question is this, would I be able to use an original double action in competition if I only fired it in single action?  I ask because there are a couple I’m considering buying and it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

NO.

Revolver Requirements

Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use in SASS main match competition.

SHB p.37

Archived