SASS Wire Forum

New model vaquero

Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

So I picked up my first pistol of my new SASS vaqueros (only can take possession of 1every 30 days in Republic of Jersey) and it seems I got one of the older sets without all the work done on them. No free spin pawl, heavy springs etc. got new springs and ready to do some work, but noticed something different. On my old models the free spin pawl was reduced on one corner to make free spinning. On this model the pawl does not engage the back of the cylender when gate is opened. There is a spring loaded pin projecting through the frame wall and engages the cylender. I have looked and a free spin pawl is available for the New Model, but can someone tells me how this works and refer me to any information that might be out there about this because I couldn't find any.

Thanks

Swan

ALL New Vaqueros have free spin pawls. The spring loaded pin you are talking about is to keep the cylinder from rotating backwards. Ruger put the system in there so the chambers would line up properly with the loading gate. In most cases you can simply remove the spring loaded pin and the reverse spin pawl will work. Sometimes it will take adjustment.

Archived